Pro Tools LE on 10.5 Leopard

Reaction score
Anybody know of a way to run Pro Tools LE on 10.5???

I just got a new Mac Pro 8-Core (Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400) loaded with 10.5 Leopard. But of course pro tools le software only works on 10.4 Tiger. I have a macbook pro running 10.4...can i clone that drive and install it in the mac pro and boot off it? ANY SOLUTION WILL DO!!! I'm dying to crack this thing out with my Pro Tools!!! Thanks everybody!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
I have Pro Tools LE 7.4 running beautifully on my macbook pro. Almost everyone I've heard from said that Pro Tools LE 7.3 doesn't work but 7.4 does.
If you purchased PT anytime after October 2007 then you get a free upgrade to 7.4. This is done through an email process after you register your copy at digidesign's webste.
Are you trying to use 7.3 or 7.4? What is the hardware interface (mbox/003/etc..)?
So... it's not "supposed to" work, but it does just fine for me. I'm sure the upgrade is on the way so that most current PT versions will work with Leopard?

OP
D
Reaction score
I run a digi002. I haven't tried to install it yet, but i would just buy 7.4 (I have a crack of 7.3).

I've heard that people can get it to run, but that there are stability issues. Also, do you use any "rewire" plugins? I've been told that either they wont work, or just crash the system?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My rewire plugins are working fine. I have no stability issues so far. I bought the full version of Reason 4, so I don't know if that made a difference...
It's one of those things. If you can afford to take a chance that it might not work until April or so then that's one thing...
If you are dependent on this for income or whatever then you need to try something else. Why not get it... see if it works... if it doesn't then downgrade... Can you dual boot two versions of OSX? I don't know the answer to that.

Reaction score
with a powerbook G4 running 10.5.2?

Is my best solution to downgrade my OS back to Tiger? I've tried everything to make the "audio record volume" work–from disk repair to erasing pro tools files in library/preference.

Anybody know how long till LE works on Leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is no real way of telling but people have fairly well educated guesses of "April" or "Early April."
This is what some resellers (sweetwater) have been telling people. Check out the digi forum at their website if you want to try to get any more info. If you can afford to be patient for another couple of weeks it might be a good thing.

Reaction score
I have a 2.33 Core 2 macbook and I just installed the Le 7.4 update and my 003 is up and running. Screenshot for proof.

picture2xm1.png

Reaction score
You can run Pro-Tools 7.4 on an 8 core mac. you have to go to: Set Up, Playback Engine and set your RTAS processor to 2 instead of 8. I've been using it for the past week now and it seems to be working fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
as far as i know protools 7.4 does not work on 10.5.2 but it does on 10.5.1
so if you have upgraded you may have to go back...
but looking at the pic above im not sure whats up with that...maybe some difference between HD & LE

Reaction score
I use PT LE as my biz, so no I will not be upgrading to Leopard until Digi says yes, and then wait a week or two after that to see what the general response is.

In the past I've installed upgrades etc without waiting and learned the hard way that they don't always work the first time! When the machine is your money maker I've found it best to wait and see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
about a week ago a representative of Digi posted a note on their forum that said it will be between 1 and 2 months before compatibility is ready.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz Aluminum iMac, 1.25 GB Ram
I'm running PT LE 7.3 on Lopard 10.5.2

Reaction score
I have Pro Tools LE 7.4 running beautifully on my macbook pro.

Thredspeth, i'd love to know what hardware you ware using? Please say 002R!

I run a MBP with 002R and am about to upgrade to 7.4 as Elastic Audio looks incredible, if i can run from my MBP it would save having to install a Tiger partition on my external audio hard drive.

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FunBoy... I'm using the 003R. From everything I've heard from Digi reps, you will see compatibility by the end of may or first week of June. Probably at the same time you see 10.5.3.

Reaction score
I downloaded the upgrade of Pro Tools 7.4 for Leopard, but I cannot see any activation code on the PDF I downloaded... can anyone tell me where it is?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro -- 2 Ghz Intel Core Duo / 2 GB Ram / 320GB HD -- iPhone 3G Black 16GB
I downloaded the upgrade of Pro Tools 7.4 for Leopard, but I cannot see any activation code on the PDF I downloaded... can anyone tell me where it is?

you have to use your activation code for 7.4 to activate 7.4.2pr

"Download the Free Pro Tools Pre-release
Pro Tools 7.4.2pr is a free download for the following Pro Tools users; please note that you will need your Pro Tools 7.4 authorization code (Pro Tools LE) or iLok authorization (Pro Tools|HD or Pro Tools M-Powered) to authorize the Pro Tools prerelease software:

* Registered Pro Tools LE® 7.4 users
* Registered Pro Tools M-Powered™ 7.4 users
* Registered Pro Tools HD® 7.4 users (Pro Tools HD 7.4.2pr includes new support for Avid Mojo® and older Apple Mac Pro computers)"

Reaction score
I have the Pro Tools 7.3 LE for Leopard and is having the same problem finding the activation code. I can only see the authorisation code. Is there a way of getting it through this code?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro -- 2 Ghz Intel Core Duo / 2 GB Ram / 320GB HD -- iPhone 3G Black 16GB
it should be the same. are you trying to activate 7.3 or the 7.4.2 update? if you downloaded the 7.4.2 version you have to have purchase the original 7.4. then use that code for 7.4 to activate 7.4.2.

Reaction score
Okay so this is an odd question, maybe... When you re-name a region on Pro Tools... how do you make it so it changes the name of the disk fil aswell as the region? When I double click, you re-name the region only... but a few times I have double-clicked and I have been given the option to re-name the disk file also, but I'm not doing anything different, I don't understand why it doesn't give the option 96% of the time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.