• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

earthquake in the uk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, High Res, 2GB Ram, 2.4Ghz processor Core 2 Duo
4.7 =]. my first earthquake.

i loved it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
You should move down to Southern California, Over the past summer we had like 3 days in a row of straight earthquakes, I had just wall mounted a Plasma on less than the recommended amount of bolts too, scared the heck out of me!

Are the houses there even rated for Earthquakes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
That link was from months ago

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You should move down to Southern California, Over the past summer we had like 3 days in a row of straight earthquakes, I had just wall mounted a Plasma on less than the recommended amount of bolts too, scared the heck out of me!

Are the houses there even rated for Earthquakes?

I've lived in Southern California since 1992 and only experienced one earthquake and it was a 4.5....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15. 2.6GHz. 2GB. Airport Extreme Base n. iPod nano 8GB.
You don't need to be in southern Cali to experience earthquakes. We get them in northern Cali too. I've lived in California for 30 + years and couldn't tell you how many I've experienced. I lost count years ago.

If you find yourself in the shake zone, it can be scary. If you find yourself in the roll zone, it can be exhilarating. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
That link was from months ago

WHOOPS! My bad. I googled "earthquake UK" - how many earthquakes do they have in the UK? I assumed it was the only one this century! I was wrong. Apologies.

In humble restitution, let me try again. This looks like the correct story? And another, this one from the Telegraph (newspaper).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
I've lived in Southern California since 1992 and only experienced one earthquake and it was a 4.5....

Then you missed the 94 Northridge quake (6.7). I sure won't forget it - completely trashed my house. We were only a mile from the epicenter though. I had lived in California all my life up to that point and I had NO IDEA the ground could move that much.

Not fun waking up while flying through the air.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Then you missed the 94 Northridge quake (6.7). I sure won't forget it - completely trashed my house. We were only a mile from the epicenter though. I had lived in California all my life up to that point and I had NO IDEA the ground could move that much.

Not fun waking up while flying through the air.

Yep, I was on my last deployment while in the service. My wife was living in the Bay area for the big one in 89 though, I had just left on my second deployment 2 weeks before....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I lived down there in Pasadena in the 80's and we got the Whitter Narrows quake that damaged my house 12 miles north in Pasadena, Ca. The Aftershock the next evening lifted my house enough to move it on the foundation and crack the back porch wall and jam the door in it's frame. Then 2 years later the Sierra Madre quake that was centered 4 miles east of us knocked down walls on buildings, knocked a lot of my computer stuff at the time and stereo stuff and my TV to the ground and a lighted Lamp fell and hit me over the head as I was sleeping. So I have been through a few pretty strong and damaging quakes in Southern Calif in my life for sure!

OP
hotdog182
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, High Res, 2GB Ram, 2.4Ghz processor Core 2 Duo
lol turns out it ws a 5.2 and the link for such article is...

England is rocking

Hope the link works.

only one injury noted so far.

Reaction score
Woke me up here near Birmingham so I just decided to play PS3 the rest of the night :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
I'm 80 miles northeast of St. Louis Missouri and they say one day, they will get hit with a big one, so I might feel a wave or two from it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, Ipod nano 1st&3rd gen
It woke me up I had 2 Ideas what it was:
1. some one nicking the car outside!
2. I was dreaming lol
only realized this morning on the news

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Earth What? On the East Coast we get snow...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
So whats the difference between a shake and a roll?

You don't need to be in southern Cali to experience earthquakes. We get them in northern Cali too. I've lived in California for 30 + years and couldn't tell you how many I've experienced. I lost count years ago.

If you find yourself in the shake zone, it can be scary. If you find yourself in the roll zone, it can be exhilarating. ;)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
A shake would be sharp movements and a roll is a wave like movement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 2GHz Intel 2GB RAM, iPod Classic 80Gb, iPhone
I slept through it but it woke my girlfriend up, she then woke me up to tell me about it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.