• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Toast Titanium 8

Reaction score
I am using a Apple MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz Laptop and just recently installed Toast Titanium 8. I tried to burn a DVD that I had downloaded, which was about 700 MB. After two hours of encoding (?) it stopped at 99% and said that I needed 5G space available on the blank DVD (Memorex +R).

Should it take this long for encoding or is there a faster way?
Why did it tell me the file was 700MB and then Say I needed 5G space?

Could someone please help? Sorry if this question has been answered in an earlier thread but i didnt find it.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go to the Roxio website and download update 8.0.3. If you have registered the software surprised Roxio never advised you of the update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Maybe your movie is 700MB downloaded which expands to over 5GB? perhaps you will need a DL burner and disc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac, G4 B&W
I had the same problem. Only foolproof solution I found:
1. Use 'Visualhub' to convert .avi file to DVD.
It will create an iso image (much like a dmg)
2. Open disc copy in toast, select image file.
3. Drag the image file, under File menu select 'save as disc image'
(Also make sure to select "compress to fit DVD" checkbox)
4. Toast will create a "Toast disc image" which you can burn to a regular DVD
5. Using this system, I've put 3 movies @ 700 Mb each on one disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G4, 1.42 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 60 GB HDD
Looks like you have downloaded just DivX version (degraded DVD burnable to CD with extension .avi). Once you want to create the DVD, toast needs to encode it, so the 2 hour time is maybe right, once the DivX file is converted to DVD format (files under VIDEO_TS folder), the movie will be burned to DVD media. I made some DVD's from DivX files and are running fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.