• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What do you think about the eBay boycott?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15. 2.6GHz. 2GB. Airport Extreme Base n. iPod nano 8GB.
I think it's great. I guess one could only hope more seller's would join the protest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Wait, wasn't the deal that sellers could no longer leave feedback? When does that kick in, because a seller left feedback for me a week ago! Anyway, I think the whole idea of one-sided feedback is utterly ridiculous. Instead of sellers hurting buyers, sellers will no longer have a clue about whether or not someone takes too long to pay, if someone who tries to run payment scams, or other issues.

The best answer is so simple, I feel like I should be running the company! The only thing that decides whether or not the seller is satisfied is whether or not they get their money, right? And apparently the problem is sellers who hold off on leaving feedback in case the buyer gives them negative feedback so they can retaliate. Well then, all you have to do is set an expiration on when the seller can leave feedback. Obviously they'll get paid well before the buyer gets the product, so if they don't leave feedback by the time the buyer leaves feedback on the item auctioned, the seller loses the ability to leave feedback. It's simple and still allows people to know if a buyer has a good or bad rep.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Wait, wasn't the deal that sellers could no longer leave feedback? When does that kick in, because a seller left feedback for me a week ago! Anyway, I think the whole idea of one-sided feedback is utterly ridiculous. Instead of sellers hurting buyers, sellers will no longer have a clue about whether or not someone takes too long to pay, if someone who tries to run payment scams, or other issues.

As I understand it, sellers can either choose to leave positive feedback or none at all. The theory being that if the buyer doesn't pay, eBay will deal with them and if they had paid, then they fulfilled their end of the bargain.

Although I don't agree entirely with the policy, I do think it's a step in the right direction. I believe that most buyers that have been around for awhile and have spotless records were terrified of saying anything bad about a seller for fear of reciprocal feedback. I can't remember the last time a seller left me feedback without first receiving it from me.

Frankly, I think that eBay has the right idea, just the wrong implementation. When a buyer pays, he/she has done their part and therefore the seller should be forced to leave feedback first before being eligible to receive feedback from the buyer. I'm not sure that the sellers would be enamored of that idea either, but I believe that's how it should have been done.

Either way, I hope this little insurrection will make some waves at eBay and encourage some reform. eBay management has gone unchecked for too long and it's about time they start listening to the community.

OP
M
Reaction score
...if the buyer doesn't pay, eBay will deal with them ...

The process required to report a buyer for non-payment so that they get a strike on their account takes over 2 weeks, which is ridiculous. If the seller doesn't want to wait the 2 weeks before they can re-list the item, then they have the option for "mutual agreement to not complete the transaction" which will allow them to re-list quicker. I have done that on occasions simply because I don't want to wait forever, which in turn allows the buyer to just go bid on something else then not pay.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The process required to report a buyer for non-payment so that they get a strike on their account takes over 2 weeks, which is ridiculous. If the seller doesn't want to wait the 2 weeks before they can re-list the item, then they have the option for "mutual agreement to not complete the transaction" which will allow them to re-list quicker. I have done that on occasions simply because I don't want to wait forever, which in turn allows the buyer to just go bid on something else then not pay.

Well, that does suck. I guess I didn't realize the extent of that particular problem because I've never had a non-paying buyer. Of course, I've often canceled bids when I've had bidders with a 0 or negative feedback rating - and with these policies in place, that wouldn't be as readily apparent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you ain't happy don't use it ~ simple basis of marketing and if sufficient feel the same way it will fail. Treat warily anything competitors publish as Google have been having enough of their own adverse PR lately.

As a seller I left feedback for a buyer just this morning.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
never used it - seems like a minefield to me. my wife does craigslist all the time though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15. 2.6GHz. 2GB. Airport Extreme Base n. iPod nano 8GB.
As the article states, this protest is largely over pricing changes. The cost to list items will be cut 25% to 50%, but the commission for completed sales increases. THIS IS NOT A GOOD DEAL FOR SELLERS. It's a no-brainer that greed is behind this change from the new incoming CEO. Do the math.

As for feedback, again the article states sellers will no longer be able to leave negative feedback starting in May. Period.

I support the Sellers protesting this act of greed on eBay's part. I'm in no way a Power Seller or even a frequent seller however I also thought seller's should leave feedback when their paid. And buyer's should leave feedback after satisfaction of receiving their purchase. Assuming all went well for both parties.

For the 20+ items I have sold, I have played the game exactly that way. I have never had anything to hide when listing a item for sale, so I felt that was fair and honorable. Besides, I've never had a problem standing behind anything I've sold on eBay. And for the record, I've never had to issue a refund.

On the other hand, I have only twice out of 100 + purchases dealt with PowerSeller's who did the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Actually I have no issue with sellers waiting for the buyers to leave feedback first. Cause:

1. The buyer will leave the appropriate feedback when they receive the item.

2. The seller will give the feedback whenever. That's ok with me. But they should do it and not be a meanie and not do it. Cause if they say something like not paid for the item of something. The buyer can say hey I got the item from you. Would you or anyone actually post the item before they were paid. I think not. So everything evens itself out.

I just think there has to be a way to make the sellers and buyers give feedback. When doesn't bother me, just as so they have done it. Maybe banning them from trading on ebay at all if they have any non fedback transactions over say 60 days old. That might just work.

Reaction score
I completed a payment and never received product before. Then the seller left neg feedback on my account saying I never payed. Worst part is that when I went through resolution it showed that the seller used a paypal shipping tag but when they gave me the tracking number it said not in system. I never got my money back. ****ed paypal and ebay to ****. the seller had 55 sells 100% feedback as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.