a little confused

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 1.33MHZ
Just got my new (used) ibook G4. I really like it so far, however something confuses me. I downloaded mozilla...and it put the dmg file on my computer...what is this file, i thought it was just the download, and once i ran it, the program was installed et. all. however when i put it in the trash, the browser was gone. what's the deal here? what do i need to know?

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 1.33MHZ
also, the max res on this guy is 1024X768.....can I get that higher?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
In OS X, many apps do not need to be installed in order to run, which you have now found out.

You could think of the .dmg file sort of like a zip file in Windows.

When you open the .dmg it shows you what's inside.

Unlike windows, many apps can be opened and run right from there without an installation routine.

In order to install the app, open a new Finder window, and drag the app's icon and drop it in the Applications folder.

You can then close all the windows and eject (or drag to the trash) the opened dmg file.

You will now open the app from the Applications folder.
If you want to keep that app on the dock all the time - while you have it open, you can right click and select Keep in Dock.

To remove an app, just drag it from the Applications folder to the trash.

And you might want to read through eric's Mac-Forums Switchers FAQ and Information located right at the top of the Switchers forum for this and other mighty fine pointers on using your new OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15. 2.6GHz. 2GB. Airport Extreme Base n. iPod nano 8GB.
And as for screen res - sorry, 1024 X 768 is your limit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Just got my new (used) ibook G4. I really like it so far, however something confuses me. I downloaded mozilla...and it put the dmg file on my computer...what is this file, i thought it was just the download, and once i ran it, the program was installed et. all. however when i put it in the trash, the browser was gone. what's the deal here? what do i need to know?

This is one of those huge differences between OSX and Windows. When you open the .dmg file it is literally a virtual disc image. To install the program you can drag it off of the .dmg disc and put it anywhere on your computer (the Applications folder is recommended but not required). Now you have the Application program on your computer ready to run. What you don't see is that inside that .App file are all of the pieces that make up the program and allow it to run. These are all of those various things that Windows scatters hither and yon in the system for a program to work. On OSX, they are in one nice neat package.

The App will create a prefs file in the prefs folder and maybe some read me files, but that is about it for most Apps. Some OSX Apps DO come with an installer and some do come with an uninstaller. If you want to delete an App simply drag it to the trash and empty it, that's it, no uninstaller required unless one is included.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.