OpenOffice???

Reaction score
I attempted to download OpenOffice this afternoon and got the unpleasant surprise of the site telling me that this version was not available. Anyone know where to find this, or something free and comparable? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
NeoOffice is the Mac OS X native port of OpenOffice.org, in case you were wondering!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Me three for NeoOffice

NeoOffice would be great except for the length of time it takes to load it up and get it running. Imagine in my delight then when I installed openSuSE 10.3 on a PC of mine and found that OpenOffice loaded and ran in about 3 seconds! I am sure openSuSE is preloading all the key libraries at boot time, or some other trick, but I don't care. The launch speed is awesome.

If only NeoOffice could figure out a similar trick...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
I've been using OOo on my Windows machines for years. I never really liked it but tolerated it because I didn't want to give MS any more $$$$$. But with the Mac, I broke down and bought iWork.

Reaction score
I've been using OOo on my Windows machines for years. I never really liked it but tolerated it because I didn't want to give MS any more $$$$$. But with the Mac, I broke down and bought iWork.

I broke down and bought iWork as well, but not have not been thrilled with Pages proofreading ability. Keynote also takes a lot of getting used to.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing me in the direction of NeoOffice. This is working nicely for me at the moment. I'm not averse to buying iWork, but I figure I just gave Apple almost $3k so I'll wait on that one a bit.

Thankfully Firefox and jEdit are both available on Mac, as well as Filezilla, so my web development stuff is moving along without missing anything I'm used to there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.