• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Burning DVDs (Im new)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac|MacBook
Can someone link me to a thread where it shows you how to burn a DVD movie on my MacBook from an existing DVD movie. All the steps and programs needed. I want to create some backups of the movies i have bought. Thanks Mac brothers :)

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac|MacBook
its illegal to burn a dvd that you bought? im not going to sell it or anything, I just want to make copies of the originals. I live in Canada if that makes any difference, I know theres different rules/laws about copyrights and such.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The board has a strict policy of abiding by US law in the posts, regardless of which country you live in.

You can find plenty of information about burning DVDs here - just not info on copying protected media

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac|MacBook
Ive got a question then. How can I compress a .cdr file that is over 7 gigs to under 4 gigs so I can burn it to a dvd?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac, G4 B&W
First step: Get the program 'Visualhub'. This will enable you to convert most formats to dvd. Not sure about cdr-might require another step. Then get 'Toast' for burning.

1. Use 'Visualhub' to convert .avi file to DVD.
It will create an iso image (much like a dmg)
2. Open disc copy in toast, select image file.
3. Drag the image file, under File menu select 'save as disc image'
(Also make sure to select "compress to fit DVD" checkbox)
4. Toast will create a "Toast disc image" which you can burn to a regular DVD
5. Using this system, I've put 3 movies @ 700 Mb each on one disc.

P.S. The only sure way to keep the FBI happy is to watch your DVD once and then destroy it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.