• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Help with iDVD (newbie)

Reaction score
OK, I recently switched from my old laptop with Ubuntu Linux 7.10 on it. I needed something different, and I have always loved Mac's. Anyway, I thought that iDVD or some other programs would help me out just like programs in Linux did, but I was WAY wrong on that. In Linux, I used a program used DeVeDe to burn video files that I had created. All I had to do was import the .avi files to DeVeDe, it would do all of the converting and stuff, then burn it. Sometimes I could fit 3 full movies on one disk. Now, I am trying to use iDVD to do the same thing, but it WILL NOT let me. I am very confused by this. For some reason, if a video file is over 2 hours long, it simply will not fit. And ou can forget about fitting more than one movie on a disk.

Don't get me wrong, I love iDVD's interface, and the menu's are amazing. But, I would really like to be able to fit more video on a disk. Are there any other options? I really would like for the software to be free, but if that is not possible, still offer up suggestions. As for now, I am thinking about setting up a dual boot with Ubuntu to handle my multimedia tasks, and I thought that Mac was well known for their multimedia. I know that it is actually worse quality video, but it doesn't hurt it that much.

Thanks in advance!

~Wayne

OP
B
Reaction score
OK, so I found out that there is a version of DeVeDe for windows. Is there any way I can run windows programs with Leopard at the same time, or should I just install Ubuntu through boot camp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac, G4 B&W
Toast will compress the files. 'Visualhub' is a must for conversions on Mac. Procedure is outlined in other threads here.

OP
B
Reaction score
sounds good, but is there any chance we can do this with freeware programs???? If not, the only solution I see is to load up Ubuntu.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.