In the market for a new digital camera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 iMac; 8gb DDR3 ram; ati mobility 4850; 1tb seagate harddrive @7200rpm
I wanna replace my Canon Powershot G1. It was originally my brother's but he just gave it to me. It was the best of its class back in the day and is still decently powerful. But the thing is some of the buttons for navigating through the menu don't work, and it doesn't seem to take captures of images off my TV very well. I have a 1080 progressive scan LCD, so shutter speed really isn't an issue. Color saturation is lost and lens flare is pretty apparent. I'm also looking for a good digital camera that excels in recording video content, and I'll be recording off the TV.

A video card would be the obvious course of action, but I've yet to find a decent one for macs, and it would best suit me to invest in a new camera for my architecture school.

Any suggestions? By default I'm looking at the Canon Powershot G9 but there probably are others out there that specialize in these types of things, that I'm not aware of and maybe I could be enlightened.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
Using a camera to capture images off of a tv may not be the best means, but I'll refer you to a "how to" page: http://www.skepticfiles.org/cowtext/comput~1/photoscn.htm

As you will see, it's more about technique than the type of equipment that you use, although having the proper gear will help.

The G9 is a very good p&s camera that gives you RAW capability and full control over the camera's primary controls. I have the G7 (effectively the G9 without RAW), and have been quite pleased, but you'll want to use a tripod for the work you have in mind, as these cameras can get quite noisy with the ISO boosted to 400 and beyond.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I bought a Canon G9 a few months ago and am VERY pleased with it. Picture quality is excellent as long as you keep the ISO low (which you can do easily with this camera, thanks to its external ISO dial!).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - Penryn 2.4ghz
Can't go wrong with canon, that's what I use. If you want to stick with a point and shoot the Fuji FinePix F50fd is also a great camera. Very sharp pics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I've got a pretty sweet Kodak camera, the Z710 for sale if you're interested ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.