I hate to ask this as a newbie but..

T

Terry_C

Had my MAC for a week and it's great but I can't open aliases on the desktop by double clicking. I have my mighty mouse set up for left primary and right secondary but I if I double left click nothing happens. If I double right click I get a menu option to open, open with, etc. Double clicking works ok in finder to open applications or files ok. I know this will be so simple so please be gentle with an (ageing!) newbie!

Thanks

Terry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Ut should work OK

try double clicking a little quicker and see it hat does it

Also try making a brand new fresh alias to see if it is the link to the app that has gone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Maybe the System Preference Mouse controls are set a little slow or fast? Go to System Preferences>Keyboard&Mouse>Mouse and fine tune the double click speed. Assume of course you are using Leopard X.5.2 as your post does not say.

OP
T

Terry_C

Thanks for the quick replies - yes trial and error with the click speed and it's fixed: . Embarrassing basics really!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Nah Terry it ain't embarrassing!

We all have to learn (and remember lol - that is the hard part). Enjoy your Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.