Struggling with avi to mp4 conversion

Reaction score
I have come from a Palm Treo to join the realms of the cool and trendy with a new iPhone.

The trouble is with my Treo I had the whole download an avi, convert it to mp4 (using MediaCoder) and copy over to my Treo down to a fine art.

I'm struglling so far to find as neat a process as I used to have.

So far, if I use mediaCoder to convert the avi to mp4, iTunes refuses to recognise it, even though I have selected the iPhone preset from mediaCoder's menu.

I then used Videora, which is free and seemed pretty good, but has problems with some of my avi's, even though mediacoder converted them fine.

My latest trial is Cucusoft's converter and so far this seems to have worked, although I'd prefer not to shell out $40 for it.

What does everyone else use? What kind of routine have you got going with downloading AVIs, converting and copying across? I'm sure there's a better way of doing it than I've got at the moment.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
You're welcome.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.