MBP Desaturated?

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a new MBP with a matt screen. I have just noticed how different the colours are between my Dell PC monitor displaying a jpg in windows and my mac book pro displaying the same jpg in leopard.

The colours in the image on my pc are very vibrant and saturated yet on my mbp they look as if someone has grabbed the saturation slider in photoshop and dragged it right down!

I have changed my colour profile to 2.2 but still no joy

Does anyone know the reason for this?

Thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Two things...
First, I would suggest calibrating your screen. Simply changing the color profile isn't always enough. Do a full screen calibration. It sounds like the Gamma levels are way off.

Secondly, a matte screen is going to give a much more true representation of color. Screens that are glossy and even some CRT screens can sometimes make images appear over-saturated. Sure, sometimes this can be "better" looking, though it isn't completely accurate. So, even after you calibrate your screen, it may still appear 'muted' when compared to your older screen. You are just seeing a more accurate color with the matte screen.

M

MacHeadCase

And this thread might also give further explanation to your question. It could be the different colour gammas, the way Windoze and the Mac manage colour. I always feel that an image that was made on a WinBox looks bland, lacks vivid colour and contrast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Also bear in mind that the default energy saver schema dims the screen somewhat while running on battery. Do you see a difference between the color representation when on battery vs. on AC?

One other thing to consider as well is that MBP has an ambient light sensor and the brightness of the display fluctuates with the ambient light. This can throw off your perception of the color trueness as well.

All of this leads me to believe that if you are planning to do accurate color work on your MBP, use a properly calibrated external monitor. In general, you COULD disable all of the features I mentioned above for MBP display, but you really don't want to - they reduce energy usage, thus increasing the amount of lifetime per battery charge.

OP
M
Reaction score
Two things...
First, I would suggest calibrating your screen. Simply changing the color profile isn't always enough. Do a full screen calibration. It sounds like the Gamma levels are way off.

Secondly, a matte screen is going to give a much more true representation of color. Screens that are glossy and even some CRT screens can sometimes make images appear over-saturated. Sure, sometimes this can be "better" looking, though it isn't completely accurate. So, even after you calibrate your screen, it may still appear 'muted' when compared to your older screen. You are just seeing a more accurate color with the matte screen.
I hooked my mac up to the screen which my pc uses, the colour still looks the same coming from the mac. So its either my mac itself or my pc.. although I have looked at it n various pc's and the colour is still much more saturated than my macs output just like my own pc display. Unfortunately I dont have another mac to check it against.

How would I go about doing a full screen calibration? Is this under display - color in the sys prefs or are you refering to something else?

Thanks for your help

OP
M
Reaction score
Also bear in mind that the default energy saver schema dims the screen ...
Hi Mac57, im running on ac at full brightness and the auto sensor is off. I wish it was something that simple though :)

OP
M
Reaction score
And this thread might also give further explanation to your question. It could be the different colour gammas, the way Windoze and the Mac manage colour. I always feel that an image that was made on a WinBox looks bland, lacks vivid colour and contrast.
I agree, an image that looks saturated on a pc is bland on a mac, but what happens when you make an image look vivid on a mac, does it look over-saturated on a pc :S ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
OP
M
Reaction score
You need a calibration tool/software. Start here, and then look at their product review: http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/color_management.htm

Thanks EORI. So what exactly do they do?
Why is it that monitors aren't calibrated correctly when you purchase them?

Would this explain the colour differences between my pc display and my mac? If the image looks similar on all the pc's ive viewed it on, how come its so different on my mac?

Thanks for your help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.