PDA

View Full Version : Can't wait untill the next Windows *shudders*

billydilly
02-22-2008, 01:26 PM
When the next Windows OS comes out my Windows PC will be to old to upgrade which means a nice new shiny Mac for me (espicaly since this XP machine cant have Vista *shudders*on it). :D

I will say Microsoft *shudders* made Vista that made a mess and that I wouldn't want anything to do with Microsoft *shudders*.

BUT until then it's rubbish XP *shudders* all the way.:Angry:

And apparently God is a Mac user

http://blog.xwell.co.nz/2007/02/god-is-mac-user.html

have a look it's a bit of fun

DARN look downwards

means I would have to upgrade to vista

HELP!!!! I don't want Vista

And my parents are not going to let me have another PC or a mac until this is on its last legs.

Brown Study
02-22-2008, 01:50 PM
By the time the next usable Windows OS comes out, not one of us will shudder. All of us, including the newest generation, will be dead (shudder).

billydilly
02-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Im not sure but I think there is a Windows OS coming out in 2011.

have a look it's a bit of fun

The Vindicat3d
02-22-2008, 02:05 PM
No unfortunately Windows 11 isn't expected till 2011... you sure you want to wait that long!?

Brown Study
02-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Im not sure but I think there is a Windows OS coming out in 2009 not sure tho.

have a look it's a bit of funThe life'07 pic says the "next life course" started on Feb. 21.

Darn. I missed it. But since the city in the pic looks like Toronto, I've been there, done that. So I know all about he-double hockey sticks. No course needed.

theonegod
02-22-2008, 02:30 PM
XP IS the next version of Windows. It goes XP then Vista then XP. Honestly though what is with the hate for Microsoft and the obsessive shuddering? Seizures? XP is actually a fine OS that is very stable and easy to use if you use decent hardware and browse the internet responsibly.

billydilly
02-22-2008, 02:33 PM
No unfortunately Windows 11 isn't expected till 2011... you sure you want to wait that long!?

I'm not sure I do but I think i'm going to have to DARN PARENTS :Angry: :Angry: :Angry: :Angry:

Brown Study
02-22-2008, 02:34 PM
XP is actually a fine OS that is very stable and easy to use if you use decent hardware and browse the internet responsibly.But with OS X, it's much easier and safer to browse irresponsibly.

billydilly
02-22-2008, 02:35 PM
XP IS the next version of Windows. It goes XP then Vista then XP. Honestly though what is with the hate for Microsoft and the obsessive shuddering? Seizures? XP is actually a fine OS that is very stable and easy to use if you use decent hardware and browse the internet responsibly.

It's ok but I really want a Mac no viruses and the road to the easy life what more do you want?

billydilly
02-22-2008, 02:37 PM
But with OS X, it's much easier and safer to browse irresponsibly.

LOL irresponsibly darn right im dangerous on the net and I want to be safe doing it I go on to any site i can put the mouse to.

theonegod
02-22-2008, 02:58 PM
It's ok but I really want a Mac no viruses and the road to the easy life what more do you want?

Every time I see someone say this I cringe alittle inside as such boasts will only draw the attention of the Virus coders in the long run. Mac OS is not immune to virus' by a long shot. It just flies under the radar. The more the Mac community makes claims of immunity from them the more likely we are to get our collective feet handed to us for dinner.

Brown Study
02-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Mac OS is not immune to virus' by a long shot.Check out the virus threads on this site, and those threads/posts that debunk the so-called low-market-share, under-the-radar myth.
Every time I see someone say this I cringe alittle inside as such boasts will only draw the attention of the Virus coders in the long run.Really, don't worry about it. The odds are astronomically long that this thread would fire up the determination of a virus coder to write one for OS X that works.

If a virus ever is successful, it won't be because the coder is determined to prove this thread or any other wrong. Mac-Forums, good as it is, is not the New York Times.

louishen
02-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Every time I see someone say this I cringe alittle inside as such boasts will only draw the attention of the Virus coders in the long run. Mac OS is not immune to virus' by a long shot. It just flies under the radar. The more the Mac community makes claims of immunity from them the more likely we are to get our collective feet handed to us for dinner.

Ah no - not the old security through onscurity argument.

ab30494
02-25-2008, 01:23 AM

its actually windows 7

and i dont see any probs with vista. beside the resource hog, but once u get 2gb of ram and there is no probs with it

Derek McNelly
02-25-2008, 03:46 AM
If I didn't frequent 4chan so much, I might've just gotten another Windows PC.

;P

Kalison
02-25-2008, 05:20 AM
OS X does fly under the radar. Whats the point of hacking a bunch of home/idiot users? Making them miserable and upset doesnt mean a thing... and it sure doesnt get you a job if you are good at it. ;)

Windows has all the enterprise markets... the stuff that actually matters. I am not saying Apple doesnt have any... but more than 90% of fortune 500 companies are using windows/linux or combinations of the two... not Apple setups.

If you dont think popularity plays a part in how hard someone tries... just look at the iPhone... patched/updated time and time again, yet everyone still finds a way. It gets tougher each time, but people are still doing it.

Brown Study
02-25-2008, 12:07 PM
If you dont think popularity plays a part in how hard someone tries... just look at the iPhone... patched/updated time and time again, yet everyone still finds a way. It gets tougher each time, but people are still doing it.They're still doing it with OS X in Macs, too. Where's the blood on the streets?

You've attempted to switch the topic from viruses to attacks.

Soldiering on, anyway: Attacks on OS X are made by the thousands, likely millions, every day. All I need do is open the Firewall log to see them pile up like flies. But they get nowhere, and Apple keeps on top of any potential new holes by patching them, usually before the black hats are aware of them. The "news" media never mentions these, though there are multi-millions of Macs running the same system as iPhones. But iPhones are new, so they get the ink. Besides, the iPhone "attacks" are hacks, so your entire argument, such as it is, is dissolving like a teaspoon of sugar in the Pacific Ocean.
Windows has all the enterprise markets... the stuff that actually matters.Yep. Bots target enterprise Doze machines because they're so much more important.

Using the well-known Scale of Importance, it has been found that enterprise computers outrank home computers 3,500 to 1 in the pecking order. That's because companies from multi-billion-dollar, world-wide conglomerates to mom-and-pop corner stores are too stupid to run firewalls and anti-virus apps, unlike the situation with home machines, protected up their yin-yangs against viruses, but, thereby, making them far less important. No self-respecting enterprise machine would have an IT department guarding it. The machine is just too important for that drivel.
OS X does fly under the radar. Whats the point of hacking a bunch of home/idiot users?You're asking the wrong crowd. Millions of Dozers have pet zombies in their homes and don't know it. So it's a huge point. But millions of Mac users don't have zombies in their homes — and they know it.
OS X does fly under the radar. Whats the point of hacking a bunch of home/idiot users?You revealed yourself as an amateur in your first sentence. You shouldn't come out from under your bridge until the end.

Kalison
02-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Fair enough to say.

I didn't know Canadians had any fight in them at all.

I don't like to get into it on Forums. All I was trying to say is visibility matters when it comes to choice of attacks and viruses. At this point... OS X and Apple, are very low on visibility. Regardless of what you think and how much you love Apple, they may, and I hope, never become as large as Microsoft.

I can't tell you how much I love coming home to my Apple and not having to worry about crap. I work on Windoze machines from mom and pop shops, to large retail chains, to our own fortune 100 company. Trust me... I don't want to go through what I do with Windows at home.

Brown Study
02-25-2008, 02:02 PM
I didn't know Canadians had any fight in them at all.The Taliban in Afghanistan, f'rinstance, only wish.

Kalison
02-25-2008, 02:04 PM
The Taliban in Afghanistan only wish.

Right you are.

I wasn't trying to be insulting with that remark either, I work with people in Winnipeg everyday... they just always seem to be without problems.

LadyInRed
02-25-2008, 09:19 PM
Im not sure but I think there is a Windows OS coming out in 2011.

Ha Ha, too funny. The next great Windows release will probably arrive 5 years late and at least 2 years too early. :D

fred
02-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Don't know really what to say other than I've been using a Mac a whole three weeks now, and have seen no "shudders". I like it.
I've been using an XP PC since XP debuted back when with no "shudders". I like it too.
Granted, it's a given that they (PC's) are more vulnerable to "attacks, hack's viruses, trojans, etc." than a Mac, but.... is that because of the "market share, enterprise percentage, higher profile, in the radar etc." debate, or is it just because Windows is easier to manipulate.
I won't say either OS is perfect, there is no such thing IMO.
Windows has it's quirks, and long time users know those quicks, good, bad, otherwise.
Mac's obviously have quirks too, otherwise there would be no need for this forum. Long time Mac users know those quirks as well.
Some know both. Knowledge is power.

I have my quirks, you have yours. I'm not "better" than you or "lesser" than you because of this, we just happen to be the same, but different.
There is also something be said about agreeing to disagree.
We do the same things, just in different ways.
Will I ever give up on the PC? Probably not. My work requires it (I'm not alone here), and I know it. If I get to know a Mac, what's the problem in knowing both ?

It's an analogy. Just like the Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge debate, or "my Dad can beat up your Dad" i.e. It's an opinion. We all have one, just like we have other things.

My Mom absolutely hates IE in favor of AOL because she's been using AOL for years and is used to it. Nevermind the fact it tries to take over her PC.
We all have our preferences, and we tend to think ours is "right" or "better"
because that's what we get used to.
Guess I had a little to say after all. ;D

Tiger got held up on release did it not?
Was it too late or early? Your decision, I'm new.

The Vindicat3d
02-25-2008, 10:45 PM
its actually windows 7

and i dont see any probs with vista. beside the resource hog, but once u get 2gb of ram and there is no probs with it

ahh my bad i was thinking 2011 lol

baggss
02-25-2008, 10:47 PM
D
Granted, it's a given that they (PC's) are more vulnerable to "attacks, hack's viruses, trojans, etc." than a Mac, but.... is that because of the "market share, enterprise percentage, higher profile, in the radar etc." debate, or is it just because Windows is easier to manipulate.

That is actually a huge topic for debate. One thing I will point out that you did not mention is that a large portion of the Internet and many businesses are run by Unix and Linux boxes. While OSX may be a small time OS, it's Unix brethren and Linux cousins are not, yet they are not impacted by Trojans, Worms, Malware, Spyware, Viruses and all the other nasties that are out there like Windows is. Security through obscurity sounds good but Unix, all of it's flavors, is not an obscure OS by any means.

Just something to keep in mind.

fred
02-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Agreed baggss, hence the "or is it just that windows is easier to manipulate" comment.
I did not mean to say that "Unix, and all of it's flavors" is obscure, only that they are "possibly" harder to break.

My personal opinion is that the easier target will get the most attention, market share or not.
And if you so choose to use the easier target, simply stand by to get used to it, deal with it, and get protected as best you can,......... or switch to a harder target and get used to that.

That's just me though.

Tanner31593
03-02-2008, 12:17 AM
My Mom absolutely hates IE in favor of AOL because she's been using AOL for years and is used to it. Nevermind the fact it tries to take over her PC.

Amen to that.
Gosh AOL is an annoyance on PCs.....on our HP AOL it opens like every 3 seconds, if we saved passwords it would connect itself.
But, my mom's the same way, she's used it since the old AOL 3.0, she's used to it, everyone knows her email address, and apparently she only pays $6 a month.

hardtoremember
03-02-2008, 12:53 AM
I never realized how much easy it should be to use a computer until I bought this mac. I have very few problems and the few I have had were solved quickly and easily and none involved hacking the registry.
I dislike Windows more now than ever.