• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Mac Vets your help is greatly needed

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've never posted here before and the reason I am now is because I'm considering buying a Mac. I'm a videographer in Pa most of my work is weddings but I'm getting more commercial work as well as promotional gigs. My question is ; FC studio vs. FC express, I already know that the studio is the big dog, the goods, the big potato, the whole ball of wax etc. So besides having more features and being alot more money what's the diff.
Any help is a big help.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro , 15 inch / Mac Pro w/ 30 inch HD Cinema Display
its a world of difference i can not even being to write but i will give you soome basics. first off FCE is going to just be the final cut app ( a watered down version of it ) FCP is going to include not only the the full version of the app , it is going to be apart of the entire media suite. with this you will get applications like sound , text , motion , dvd pro. this is an excellent suite for production.

as far as what you can do in fce and can not do. fce is going to be basic editing. i dont think it includes sophisticated color correction or the ability to do chroma key ( green/blue screen). there are many other features you wont have also. its been a while since i used FCE to be honest. invest in the big dog if you are a pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
I use FCE for a lot of sophisticated video editing. I don't have any experience with FCP but I'm guessing it makes the more tricky editing quite a bit easier.

I don't want to lead you wrong, but I think FCE would probably be a good first investment. I think you can even upgrade to FCP, so it wouldn't be a total waste of money to get FCE. I'm just guessing that for most everything you would want to do that FCE would be all that you need. I think it also comes with "Livetype" which has some interesting text effects.

For the record, you can do Green Screen stuff in FCE if you need to.

just my $.02

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro , 15 inch / Mac Pro w/ 30 inch HD Cinema Display
apple told me you could not do chroma key with fce , maybe there was a mis communication w/ them. i have not used fce in a while so i dont know for sure. but if you say you can , fair enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Look at the specs of each. I noticed that FCP has a whole entry regarding film. Also, the I/O capabilities seem to be much greater, or at least highlighted. These are things geared toward the high end of the industry.

FCP has a built in three-way color corrector and the suite comes with the new high end Color application. FCE only has a two-way color corrector.

There does't seem to be an upgrade path from FCE to Studio available on the Apple web site. At $199 FCE is a very low entry fee to get started, but if you think you'll soon be using the other tools or the higher end features, you might as well get the FC Studio, or look at Adobe Premier for the Mac.

Here is a fresh review. Found via a web search.

P.S. Please use descriptive subject lines.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.