Mail question...

Reaction score
I have a question about mail and the "Smart Mailboxes". I setup a Smart Mailbox, and I see copies of the appropriate stuff in there, but all of these items still show up in my Inbox also. Can I configure it such that these items go straight to the Smart Mailbox and don't remain in my Inbox? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
For that you need to set up a "rule" Go to preferences and then rules. Set a rule that says if "whatever" is in "whatever" field, MOVE the message to "whatever" folder.

Smart mailboxes only contain an alias of whatever is in the main mailbox, not the actual message. This is for organizational purposes.

OP
S
Reaction score
So, this means I should simply create a new non-smart Mailbox of the same name as the "Smart" Mailbox for filing these messages? Then follow your guidelines for the rules... Correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
The message MUST be somewhere.. Either in your inbox or your sent box or your delete box..

I have my smartboxes set to also look in the deleted box.. when a message comes into my inbox that meets the smartbox requirements, I simply delete it... and it still shows up the smartbox.

does that make sense?

as was stated by skybolt... smartboxes just show the alias to the actual message... sort of like a constant "search" for specific terms or "rules".

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this question is related but all of a sudden I'm having a problem with mail boxes. Maybe it's been this way all along but I think I would have noticed by now (over a year).

I have like 5 email accounts setup. All of a sudden the mailboxes for each individual account are showing up in the inbox, sent box, trash and junk mail boxes as sub folders. I don't need/want that. I deleted them from the junk and trash and they stay away for a while but then reappear. In the inbox I can't delete them (sub folders) at all.

Anybody have an idea what is wrong?

All I want is a main in box for "Inbox, Sent, Trash and Junk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
I'm not sure if this question is related but all of a sudden I'm having a problem with mail boxes. Maybe it's been this way all along but I think I would have noticed by now (over a year).

I have like 5 email accounts setup. All of a sudden the mailboxes for each individual account are showing up in the inbox, sent box, trash and junk mail boxes as sub folders. I don't need/want that. I deleted them from the junk and trash and they stay away for a while but then reappear. In the inbox I can't delete them (sub folders) at all.

Anybody have an idea what is wrong?

All I want is a main in box for "Inbox, Sent, Trash and Junk.

You can't really delete them, they are part of the app. But you CAN collapse them so that you don't see them. Click the little triangle next to "Inbox" so that it points at the word Inbox and you will see them go away. Do that for Sent, Trash, etc. and at least you will not have to look at them.

Reaction score
You can't really delete them, they are part of the app. But you CAN collapse them so that you don't see them. Click the little triangle next to "Inbox" so that it points at the word Inbox and you will see them go away. Do that for Sent, Trash, etc. and at least you will not have to look at them.
I have them collapsed so I guess I just never noticed it before. Thanks for the repluy. :|

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.