2 Mac's - 2 iPhones - sharing iTunes

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My iTunes library is kept on an external drive attached to my MBP.
That drive is shared.
My wife's MB also uses this same location as her iTunes library via wireless.

Connected her iPhone to her MB to move her music selections to the phone.
An hour later it had transferred 60 songs.

Ended up blowing that off, and connecting it to my MB and just moved all music to her phone.

Anyone know why it really didn't work or was taking so long to do this from her MB? Did it during a time when my MBP was awake, but all programs were closed, so it was doing nothing except allowing that drive to be shared.

Reaction score
Syncing Wirelessly is still not a practical option. USB if much quicker.
I find syncing to the iPhone quite slow anyway, add in an external drive and it's even slower. Finally add Wireless and you've got a recipe for lots of cups of coffee while you wait :)

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
lol, yeah figured it would be slow ... but a minute a song?

only have about 500 songs in total in the library and only took a total of about 7 minutes connected to my MBP for the whole bundle. I could see an hour or so across the network for the entire library - but 7 minutes to approx 8 hours - seems that shouldn't be the case. Particularly with both machines using 'n'.

Don't know, I could be way off base here. Have never really done any streaming wirelessly since I have half the house wired. But doesn't seem to me, that it should take longer than downloading a song from the net.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.