• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Movie Editing Program

Reaction score
As i plan on getting more serious into video editing but dont know what program would be best. Obviously Final Cut Pro would be a great program to use but can be pricy... What is a good program that has a free download *can be a Trial* so i can try it out and see how i like it...

Any Help is greatly appreciated... Basically asking for a video editing program for Apple besides iMovie or Final Cut Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
From my experience there seems to be quite a jump in quality from lower level video editing to real video editing. The only program that I've seen in the middle of the road is iMovie. I would just spring for Final Cut Express. I know it seems like a chunk of change, but why spend 50 now when you can get an older version of FCE (like 3.5) for 90 bucks. (Google search Final Cut Express... click on Shopping at the top of the page and that last entry on page one is version 3.5 for 90 bucks)

Apple experts please step in if my amateur advice is lacking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro , 15 inch / Mac Pro w/ 30 inch HD Cinema Display
if you are serious about getting into film editing then spring for the FCE or a student copy of fcp ( cheaper price but no updates or something like that) because it is just best for you to make this investment in yourself if you are really serious about this. i work now as a film editor and currently working on a feature film with some well known names. I got the gig because i first learned how to use fcp in college and then invested in my self and bought a top of the line mac pro , cinema display and FCP. spent weekend after weekend cutting together video , experimenting and things of the sort. over the summer i started answering adds on craigs list looking for a an fcp editor to work for free. i replied to one specific project that was a short film. i edited that and it came out great. i used this project as a sample project to show the director of the film i am working on now and he hired me on the spot.

my rant is over but my point was that if you are really interested in doing this then spring for the gear and just consider it s a business expense. one day you will make money from your gear and you can write it off. i set up my own company and am able to write off my gear which is sweet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.