• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Best hardware for VHS to Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
I was wondering what hardware would i need to import vhs tapes from a vhs player to my mac? Is there a certain cable or some sort of hardware that can be suggested?

OP
ibookmobile007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found this device called a moviebox.I currently have a version 9 firewire edition on the way.Would this be suffice to transfer to a mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 Ghz 12 core Mac Pro (5.1 flash) High sierra
I don't know about that device, but I have the Elgato Systems EyeTV Hybrid. It just plugs right into the USB drive and the software does the rest.

www.elgato.com

They have several devices to choose from. The Eye TV250 Plus was 50$ more and actually did all the compression supposedly taking the strain off the main CPU. Honestly, I am running a Aluminum iMac 24" 2.4 G with 4GB of ram now. and unless it's compacting or exporting the processor doesn't slow that much. I thought upping the RAM would solve the problem, but it's truly a CPU issue. I am not a power user by trade so I can live with the slowdown. If I were to be doing this for a living and needed to be editing another clip whilst two others were compacting... I'd either get the EyeTV 250 or invest in a Mac Pro.

All in all the eye TV is simple, easy to use, effective and reasonably priced. Just like Macs! ;)

MacDad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I have the ADS TECH PYRO A/V Link. I have my VCR hooked up via an RCA connection, and have the box hooked up to my Mac via Firewire. I then use iMovie to import the video straight to an external hard drive.

It works like a charm, no need to pay for a tuner if you don't need one, which clearly makes it cheaper.

OP
ibookmobile007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know about that device, but I have the Elgato Systems EyeTV Hybrid. It just plugs right into the USB drive and the software does the rest.

www.elgato.com

They have several devices to choose from. The Eye TV250 Plus was 50$ more and actually did all the compression supposedly taking the strain off the main CPU. Honestly, I am running a Aluminum iMac 24" 2.4 G with 4GB of ram now. and unless it's compacting or exporting the processor doesn't slow that much. I thought upping the RAM would solve the problem, but it's truly a CPU issue. I am not a power user by trade so I can live with the slowdown. If I were to be doing this for a living and needed to be editing another clip whilst two others were compacting... I'd either get the EyeTV 250 or invest in a Mac Pro.

All in all the eye TV is simple, easy to use, effective and reasonably priced. Just like Macs! ;)

MacDad
So what else does this require?Apple TV?I have suffice power to handle the tasks but i want to know is this just one peripheral to purchase or would i still need to purchase something else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 Ghz 12 core Mac Pro (5.1 flash) High sierra
So what else does this require?Apple TV?I have suffice power to handle the tasks but i want to know is this just one peripheral to purchase or would i still need to purchase something else?

no no. You can get what Kash suggested, or you can go the EyeTV route. At the very least, you have to get the hardware. The Ads tech is 20 bucks cheaper tha the EyeTV. I personally like the software that comes with the Hybrid version. And you can use it to record live TV also should you desire. I wanted to do all my cutting and editing with a minimum of fuss. and the Eye TV Hybrid and software will export into just about any format for Mac that your heart desires.

I haven't used the other product and it may well be superior. Just read up plenty on both and you can readily make an informed decision.

;)

OP
ibookmobile007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea i have done some research as i am really liking the El Gato version.Cash thanks for the suggestion as that might be something for my wife, because she wants to try editing on her windows computer.
Thanks for both suggestions.But there is nothing else required but the software and then you are golden huh?I already have Final Cut Studio 2 and have used it to do some light weight video stuff.Short clippings taken with my digital and imported them.But i have a big trip with my kids coming up so i am investing allot of money in movie editing software and hardware.So that i can make some really nice memory DVD's for my existing family as well as distant.

Reaction score
I go low low tech. I copy from vhs to my standalone dvd recorder player then rip the DVD if I need to do any editing. If I don't need to ediit I'm done and it takes a lot less time than importing and burning a dvd on the mac. It isn't as glamorous but it gets the job done much easier for most transfers.

OP
ibookmobile007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I go low low tech. I copy from vhs to my standalone dvd recorder player then rip the DVD if I need to do any editing. If I don't need to ediit I'm done and it takes a lot less time than importing and burning a dvd on the mac. It isn't as glamorous but it gets the job done much easier for most transfers.

I would but i really don't want to spend the money for yet another dvd burner.I have an external Sony firewire usb blueray dvd burner and a few others for macs and pcs.But that is a good suggestion.Doesn't that get tedious though?I'm just asking.I'm not ruling nothing out (FOR MY WIFE).I ordered the Evo hybrid already.But to ask a few questions.How do you record it to dvd with the vhs playing?Do you need both peripherals connected to one another or one to the tv and one to the other device?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Your best bet for your upcoming trip would actually be to get a DV camera that lets you import video straight from the camera to your Mac via Firewire. Totally cuts out the middle man that is Elgato or the box I linked you to.

OP
ibookmobile007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your best bet for your upcoming trip would actually be to get a DV camera that lets you import video straight from the camera to your Mac via Firewire. Totally cuts out the middle man that is Elgato or the box I linked you to.

I thought about that but then i dont want the hassle of purchasing tapes.I cant carry my home iMac on every trip (Even though they make cases and i have one).I felt it would be a cheaper route in the long run.Because a dvc tape will get expensive and they are only 60 minutes.So i would prefer to have a device that i can record long times.What sucks is that i purchased one and forgot i was still winning the bid on another one , so now i will have 2 hdd evio 30 GB camcorders.I was bidding on a dvd type.
But i might sell one of the camcorders here on the forum.Ill see if i can win one though.Time is ticking and my trip is right around the corner. 1 month to be exact

Reaction score
I would but i really don't want to spend the money for yet another dvd burner.I have an external Sony firewire usb blueray dvd burner and a few others for macs and pcs.But that is a good suggestion.Doesn't that get tedious though?I'm just asking.I'm not ruling nothing out (FOR MY WIFE).I ordered the Evo hybrid already.But to ask a few questions.How do you record it to dvd with the vhs playing?Do you need both peripherals connected to one another or one to the tv and one to the other device?

If I'm not doing any editing then it is the least tedious system. I just start the vhs, start the recorder and let it run. When the VHS is done playing I'm finished. If I want to edit, then I import and edit. I'm actually using one of the VHS/DVD recorder all-in-one units which makes connection easy but you can just connect the S-Video or Composite output into the corresponding input of the DVD-Recorder.

Reaction score
Pass thru in Camera

Does the camera have an input for AV, some new ones do? If it does then you can connect the VHS to this an then the output to the Mac.

Is you camera the JVC Everio? If so then the dock has AV In/Out connections.

Before buying any extra hardware check what is capable thru the camera

OP
ibookmobile007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does the camera have an input for AV, some new ones do? If it does then you can connect the VHS to this an then the output to the Mac.

Actually it does have the S Video on the back as well as AV DC USB and DV.I ordered a DV cable for the fire wire.So if i need to get AV cables which i have.How would i stream it through the dock?Can you explain that one?
Im not sure what is cable through the camcorder although i have been trying to read up on it.Any advice?And what program to import into the mac?

OP
ibookmobile007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I have a cord and yes i would be waisting money!When i can just plug this into the vcr directly and record straight to the device and save the information on the hdd using the settings of 37 hours.then transfer to mac using a program from Brian's tutorial located here:http://www.osxtechtips.com/mac_os_x_tips_and_new_user_/tech_tips_for_os_x/jvc_everio_how_to.html
Thanks guys for the suggestions as well as the advice given!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.