.aif intruments in Logic

Reaction score
Hi people!

I need some help with my instruments in Logic. I went to mi7 site and downloaded a bunch lead synths in .aif format.

My problem is when I browse then in Logic they wont play on my keyboard. Are the not in the right format or is there someting Im missing??

Thx !!

Reaction score
The AIF files are just audio files. You could drag them to an audio track on your arrange window and they should play.

If you want to use them with a keyboard, then what's missing is that they have to be loaded into a sampler. You need a patch file (ending in .EXS for Logic's sampler) that goes with the sound files to tell that sampler how the sound files map to the keys in the keyboard. If you didn't get one of these with your samples, you will have to create one.

You don't say what version of Logic you are using, but if you are using Logic Pro or the very latest version of Logic Express, you have the EXS24 sampler at your disposal. Older versions of Logic Express only have a sample player and you may need to get a 3rd party sampler and create a patch for that.

To access the patch creation part of EXS24, You willl need to create an instance of one and click on the EDIT button to bring up the patch editor. Then it is a matter of loading the sounds and assigning root keys and key ranges for them. You will probably want to consult a manual or YouTUbe video tutorial for this part. But once you are done, you can save the patch and then be able to load and play your sound as instrument.

Good Luck!!
cycloptic

OP
MactasticWorld
Reaction score
Ah , thanks!
I really do understand and seen the videos on youtube. I have Logic 8 and I just dont have a clue how to "find" the EXS24 sampler in logic. The Logic help manual doesnt know what it is so maby I just dont have the app.

Thanks for your help cycloptic

Reaction score
I'm guessing that if you cant find the EXS24, you can't find your other instruments and effects either? If this is so, you will find all by clicking the button above the Out 1-2 button on your arrange channel strip! ;)

OP
MactasticWorld
Reaction score
The very first pgr I installed when I bought my mac was Logic naturally:)
I got a error message but I dident think about it because the pgr work anyway.... but after reading the pdf manual I realize that the Logic instrument part is missing somehow. That explains the lack of sounds and why I cant find the EXS24 , I think.
Will try reinstalling hoping that my already made tracks remains.

Thx for the tip tweaked , I didnt know that :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.