iPhoto Scaling problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB
I dunno if this is in the right place ^^' it's a toss up between here and OSX software/apps

I've been trying to print off a bunch of photos onto 6x4 paper. I want borderless printing and one photo per page. I grabbed all the photos I wanted and put them in the printing album, but whenever I try to print them they are hideously out of scale. I'm only getting a small section of the photo as if the photo's too big for the paper

What's up with this :) any help would be muchly appreciated ^^

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
This is probably the DPI of the photo. If it has a low DPI (dots per inch) and a high pixel count, and iPhoto respects this as it prints, the resultant physical image dimensions may be quite large... too large for your paper.

Just to give you an example, if you have a 3000x3000 pixel image, and its DPI is set to a default of 72 (many digicams use this), a program that respects DPI settings will compute the physical dimensions of the image as 3000 / 72 = 41.67 x 41.67 inches - far too big for your paper. To make it fit, you should change the DPI to perhaps 600, yielding a 3000 / 600 = 5 x 5 inch physical size.

What image editing programs do you have access to? I would recommend checking the DPI of the photos in question and changing if need be. If nothing else, Preview.app will let you check (but not change, as far as I know) this via its Tools, Get Info menu selection. Most image editors will let you independently adjust the DPI setting without making any changes to the image pixels at all.

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.