• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Non-drowsy meds: keeps you awake?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 iMac dome, 1.25 ghz, OS 10.5.4. 5th Gen 80gb iPod Video
My wife and I have a disagreement on this topic. For drowsy medications, they obviously contain a chemical in it that makes you sleepy. We both agree on that. However, she believes that non-drowsy meds contain a chemical in it to keep you awake. I don't think so. I believe they are just plain meds without the sleepy chemical in it.

For example, a few months back she needed to take some cough medicine before going to bed but all we had was "daytime" (non-drowsy) Nyquil. She didn't want to take it because she thought she would be awake half the night. I told her it wouldn't and that she would fall asleep on her own. It's just that there is nothing in it to make her sleepy or stay awake. But she was convinced otherwise. "Fine, go to bed miserable then." :Smirk:

So what do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm thinking that it simply doesn't have whatever it is that makes you sleepy.

Reaction score
Check out both boxes' ingredients, write down the differences and google 'em.

You never know; there may not be any differences between them. Might be all sykological.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Only things I use to stay awake when I really need to is coffee and a really nice pair of headphones plugged into my cranked iPod :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, High Res, 2GB Ram, 2.4Ghz processor Core 2 Duo
I'm with you gary, i just wish my meds i take for my migraines had like ten times more drowsiness in them, because they don't make me drowsy at all. and thats why i am up at 6:22 AM GMT time writing on this forum. no offence to the forum or it's people :p

I love you all =]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Yeah, I agree with you. "Non-drowsy" doesn't really equal No-Doze...

M

MacHeadCase

Here, it is law to have all the ingredients of products printed on the packaging. A lot of those non-drowsy meds contains caffeine. :)

I once had an allergic reaction and had to take some antihistamine and the doctor prescribed a non-drowsy brand. I did not sleep a wink and could feel, at times my heart racing a bit. I called the pharmacist the next morning and the prescription was changed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
MHC is right, many non-drowsy meds do contain caffeine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.