iPhoto library GONE ?

Reaction score
Ok Im in panic right now.
I tried to open my iPhoto library, when I get a message that "your iPhoto library was not found. do you want to find your iPhoto library?"
I press choose library, but in my pictures folder, its GONE! I didnt delete it or anything, and I cant find it anywhere searching. Ahhhh. Help! haha. My pictures Cannot be gone :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
You don't by chance have your library on an external drive, that you forgot to mount before opening iPhoto, do you? That might give the behavior you are experiencing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Time Machine? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Just fire up time machine and grab it from your backup...

You DO have a backup don't you? They're your pictures!

OP
T
Reaction score
well my backup is in the middle of the atlantic ocean right now! haha, we just moved from Europe to the USA , soo it wont be here for another 5 weeks :(
BUT, my pictures are still on my computer, because when I search for a folder with pictures, it finds it, but it says that the pictures are still in my iPhoto library, well my iPhoto is empty. Do I have to manually add everything again?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Let me ask you one thing. Did you by any chance rename your Home Folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
So which version of iPhoto are you using? Can you search for the iPhoto Library file itself? Perhaps it created a new library file and it using that empty one now. If you hold down option key while opening iPhoto, you have the option to choose a different library file, provided you know where it is.

OP
T
Reaction score
I have the newest iPhoto, or the one that comes with iLife 08 at least.
I tried searching for iphoto manually, but nothing came up.. at least nothing that worked and had the pictures :/
nope didnt rename my home folder(or any folder) that I can think of

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
I tried searching for iphoto manually, but nothing came up.. at least nothing that worked and had the pictures :/
Do you even have a file called 'iPhoto Library' under Pictures?

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes I did, dont you have to have one for iPhoto to work?
but with the new version of iPhoto, you click on the iPhoto library in pictures and iPhoto opened :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
If you can find the pictures on a search, there must be another library file, though where it is and what it's named, who knows. Sorry, I'm out of ideas.

Reaction score
try going in iphoto library file, forget how, command and click and should say something like open within or something. see if your pictures are in one of the folders there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.