• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can't import .MPG file into iDVD 4

Reaction score
I have encoded a video file to a DVD compliant MPEG-2 NTSC .mpg file (using AVS Video Converter for the PC). I would like to use iDVD 4 on my mac to create the menu, but it won't allow me to import the file. Says "invalid video".

Can you only import QuickTime MOV files into iDVD? I would have thought standard MPEG2 files would easily be dragged into a DVD application.

I am looking for an MPEG-2 codec, in case that's the problem (thought one would have been included with iDVD?), but am having trouble finding one.

I feel sure it is possible - any ideas much appreciated :)

T

Time Clock Jim

Can iDVD be fooled?

Isn't the issue wther a DVD player can read the .mpg file or not? My Mintek will read any mpg file I have found to feed it, so really wether iDVD software can read it via Quick Time seems like a minor roadblock.

*side note - I watch all my video with VLC for OS X, it seems to work on everything, while Quick Time seems to read only 10% (if that) of commonly downloadable mpg/avi(xvid/divx) files.

So here's my question - what if I find some placeholder mpg files that the Quick Time software seems to be able to read, and build my DVD using them, with menus etc, then as a last step before I burn my DVD I swap out the placeholder mpg files and insert the ones that I really want to have (keeping all the file names the same).

So For example I get several episodes of Time Cop off usenet newsgroups, they won't play using Quick Time, but I build my DVD with placeholder videos, then insert the usenet mpg (manually) files once the DVD has been set up.

Think that would work? That might work for you too, thendis.. (?)

Time Clock Jim

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.