Headphone Jack issues - MacBook

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a new Mac owner and I am receiving no sound from the headphone jack. I tried plugging in several different headphones, that didn't work. I have no resorted to calling Apple tech support, only to find out that I have to pay them 50 bucks to help me. So now my only option is bringing it to a GEnius bar. Can anyone offer any suggestions before I go to leave my poor MacBook with these people? Thanks so much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
You get sound from your speakers? Sound isn't muted is it?

OP
B
Reaction score
yes, there's sound from speakers when I unplug the headphones. I tried putting the volume up and down when I have the headphones plugged in. Doesn't help. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB
hmmm

Sounds like a hardware issue, maybe your headphone jack is a bit broken :(

If you check in system preferences, go to sound, then select output along the top. When the headphones are unplugged It should say external speakers. Then try to plug the headphones in. It should change to headphones and alter the volume some. If it doesn't do this, or you still have no sound, you may have to get it seen to professionally

Dave

OP
B
Reaction score
Okay, I tried that...

...and it does what you said it would, the volume changes and it says headphones. So you're telling me I don't have to go to the Genius Bar now? But how do I fix it? Please help guys, thanks so much for keeping me away from the Genius bar.

OP
B
Reaction score
Oh yea, and I don't have to pay you guys $50 either! What a scam that is. Thanks so much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Oh yea, and I don't have to pay you guys $50 either! What a scam that is. Thanks so much.

Well, you can. The deserving member would be lightsguydave, however. I'll just accept a small stipend. Or maybe some rep.

Hopefully this resolved your issue though. ;D

OP
B
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to fix it?

I made the appointment at the Genius Bar today, but if I can avoid it....please help? The thing the other person said about testing it in the System Prefs worked, so there's something else wrong?? Hellppppp...Thanks so much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB
I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help :( although i appreciate the comments xD

Just by the by, your appointment with the genius will be free, and they will always ask you before they try to fix anything in any involved way.

Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.