Logic Pro 8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Hey guys, I just got Logic Studio and have been using Logic pro 8. I'm used to using GarageBand so I am a bit confused. If I record something, how do I put effects on it, like Orion Vocals or Wandering Around? Or Guitar effects and what not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - 1.83 Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 200GB 7200RPM HDD
Hey Vindicat,

Basically in Logic you can layer many effects one on top of another. This is done using the Channel Strip which should be on the left of your screen. You'll see a heading saying inserts and then below it a load of rectangular boxes. By clicking and holding these boxes you can select an effect to add to the chain of effects. There may already be ones on there, you can click and hold on them to select a different kind of effect.

To edit the parameters of an individual effect, there are two things you can do. Either double click on it to bring up the controller for the effect, and edit settings manual. Looks confusing doesn't it, but its fun and rewarding to play around with!

But here's the handy bit - there are lots of built in presets for each effect which affect the parameters of them. Simply click on one of the effects in the channel strip, and on the right of the screen you have the Library. You are presented with a whole range of presets to choose from and experiment with.

Now here's the even more handy bit! Above the Inserts section of the Channel Strip, you will see another rectangle like the ones you use to put the effects in. Click on this, then go to the Library on the right, and you will see a plethora of presets. These presets allow you to choose a preset with a whole chain of different effects already done for you. This is kind of like what you get in GarageBand.

So for example, if you're recording a male singer, you could try clicking on the top box in the Channel Strip, then in the Library choosing Voice > Male Voice > Male Creamy Lead Vocal. This will automatically add a new chain of effects (Channel EQ, Compressor, Stereo Delay and Ensemble) to the Inserts. You can then go and tinker with the individual parameters of each kind of effect in the preset chain.

I hope that helps. And sorry if it was confusing/patronising in any places as I don't know what level of experience you're coming from. I'm not an expert but have lots of fun in Logic Studio!

OP
The Vindicat3d
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Ah thank you very much! One more question, how do I make the recording volume louder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - 1.83 Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 200GB 7200RPM HDD
I've always controlled the volume going into Logic from the external hardware or instrument. So if you're using an external audio interface, change the level on that. However if you're recording straight into input on your MacBook you can change the input volume of that in System Preferences under Sound. I don't know if there's a neater way of controlling it inside of Logic.

However if you just want to change the volume of the track, there's a fader control at the bottom of the Channel Strip.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
rgparker is right, the best way to achieve a louder recording is to record it the loudest you can at the beginning (aim for around -3db peak with -3db to -6db average)

If for what ever reason you cannot get a louder version, creative use of EQ, Expanders and Compressors can create a sound that appears louder in the mix (without changing the actual output much)

~~ TS ~~

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.