It's here! Aperture 2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Just released: Aperture 2!

aperture_learnmore_screens.jpg

Over 100 new features in Aperture 2, including:
  • Image adjustment controls such as Highlight Recovery, Definition, Vibrancy, and Vignette
  • Retouch tool with soft-edged brush to remove unwanted elements from photos.
  • Next-generation RAW image processing for highest-quality images
  • Quick Preview mode for rapid-fire photo browsing
  • Simplified user interface that maximizes screen space and provides direct access to your iPhoto library from within Aperture
  • Integration with .Mac Web Gallery to instantly publish your photos, allowing visitors to view and download images.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
What about Apple TV take 2. Its been 2 more weeks. Im getting impatient........

Reaction score
i should be able to run it. 2gb, core duo blackbook. but i hate when my stuff is only under the minimum (gma gfx card). then again my gfx card is always the limiting factor.

hopefully i can demo it atleast

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I think i'll be ordering it.

OP
goobimama
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A whole $100 less (the previous one was $300 I think?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Finally it has arrived, Aperture 2 is here.
You can download a free trial on the Apple site.
http://www.apple.com/aperture/

Apple said:
Aperture 2 delivers over 100 dramatic, new features including advanced image processing,
a streamlined interface, faster performance, and unprecedented Mac integration.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.6 C2D 4GB 17", MBP 2.33 C2D 3GB 17", MBP 2.33 C2D 2GB 15"
Downloading the trial now. Let hope that the made some great advances, especially with the video memory usage issue and added support for the D300.

Reaction score
Hows the trial? I've been debating on getting it, but I want to wait until April, as that is when our cabin opens and I start getting into Photography every year

Reaction score
Have you used Aperture 2? You still think lightroom is better? I'm still debating which to purchase.. I'm very happy with Lightroom.

OP
goobimama
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I find Lightroom has too many controls for developing a snap. While Aperture has far fewer, but far more powerful. It's like magic sliders. Just have to increase black point to get some amazing contrast images. With lightroom you have to eyeball so many of those controls, that it gets a little tedious. I also like the one window approach of Aperture rather than the five step thing in Lightroom.

The light table is also pretty awesome.

All in all, grab a trial of both, and see which is better for yourself ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Just downloaded the Aperture2 trial last night. Looks like I'll be viewing a tutorial or two because I'm a little lost outside of iPhoto. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina
been having a look at some of the 'Lightroom' tutorials on YouTube ...... yuck another huge learning curve with things like this "press this key and if you are on a mac its press that key and move the slider."

Aperture 2 promises to be far simpler and integrated so i'm going to give the download a go soon. :Angry:

(got a feeling apple is aiming to have aperture 3, 4 or 5 with the same features as Photoshop in time also).

Reaction score
Will it work on a new black book?

Just wondering if it will work ok on my newly ordered Blackbook? I ordered the Blackbook a few days a ago and when I check the shipping status it showed that Aperture 2 was also shipping with it... Thanks,

-Silvercall

OP
goobimama
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(got a feeling apple is aiming to have aperture 3, 4 or 5 with the same features as Photoshop in time also).
Yep. Me too thinks that Aperture is soon going to have a version that sort of competes with Photoshop. Maybe not the advanced stuff, but it's getting there.

And I assume Adobe is going to make Photoshop more like Lightroom?

OP
goobimama
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just wondering if it will work ok on my newly ordered Blackbook? I ordered the Blackbook a few days a ago and when I check the shipping status it showed that Aperture 2 was also shipping with it... Thanks,

-Silvercall
Yeah it should work very well. Although I'd recommend a larger monitor for Aperture and such.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Imac G5 1.8Ghz 2Gb Ram & 820Gb of external hard drives
Aperture is a great product but seems really hard to use when compared to other Apple software. Give it time though and it will be really easy to use. Comparisons with Lightroom are inevitable as they are aimed at the same market.

Lightroom on the other hand will always have the advantage of being and Adobe program. The list of pluggin's for PS is huge and may well be an option in Lightroom soon as well. That sort of functionality is only possible with time and experience. The main advantage of Lightroom is that you do not need a standalone gfx card to run it as it is processor based only. It runs really well on my 1.8 imac G5!!!

If you want to have the benefit of pro level users advice have a look at www.luminous-landscape.com . There is a great 6 hour(!) tutorial of the various sections in LR is invaluable that costs about $14 I think.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.