Uunwanted icon on the right of the screen

Reaction score
when i open 3rd party applications that i installed, such as skype or firefox, a disk looking icon (see attached) appears on the side of my screen. i can't get rid of it until i close the respective programs. why is this happening and how can i get rid of them?

fyi, i already moved the application icons for these programs into the applications folder...

all comments welcome

thanks

Picture 3.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Right click on them and choose eject. Its a DMG (image file) used to install apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
First when you click on the icon like this.
20080212-qf414ea5a5gfj6h1brc9fn2tiq.jpg
You get your icon on the desktop with the application inside. Then you need to drag the application inside there to the application folder. Then throw both of those things away and your app will be in your folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
also... make sure you "install" the program in this order...
1)open the .dmg
2)drag the application from the disk image to your applications folder (do not open it first)
3)eject the disk image (by dragging it to the trash)
4)open the application from your applications folder

following that order you should have no problems...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.