Podcast .m4a to MP3?

Reaction score
My intent of this post is to figure out how I can record a podcast and save it in MP3 format. It is imperative that I somehow create the file or save the file as a MP3. Essentially, I created a podcast, then sent it via compact email to someone else. However, he said that its current file status is m4a (doesn't work for our purposes). So I need to take this .m4a file and convert it into MP3 so I can resend it to the person. Thank you to anyone and everyone who takes the time out of their day to help me out!
*Created thru garageband of course.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Reaction score
My intent of this post is to figure out how I can record a podcast and save it in MP3 format. It is imperative that I somehow create the file or save the file as a MP3. Essentially, I created a podcast, then sent it via compact email to someone else. However, he said that its current file status is m4a (doesn't work for our purposes). So I need to take this .m4a file and convert it into MP3 so I can resend it to the person. Thank you to anyone and everyone who takes the time out of their day to help me out!
*Created thru garageband of course.

iTunes will convert the m4a file back to mp3. Simply highlight the file, right click on it and choose "convert to mp3. It will then save the file to the hard drive.

m4a is a Quicktime format, does your friend have Quicktime?

OP
C
Reaction score
iTunes will convert the m4a file back to mp3. Simply highlight the file, right click on it and choose "convert to mp3. It will then save the file to the hard drive.

m4a is a Quicktime format, does your friend have Quicktime?

OK, so I put the file into Itunes and right clicked it. However, my only option is to convert into AAC.

It does not list an option to "convert into MP3" after I right click the file (it is in Itunes.)

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Changes iTunes preferences so that it converts to mp3 instead of m4a, not at my mac now so cant remember if its in itunes prefs menu or if its in a more advanced menu option but it is in there somewhere

OP
C
Reaction score
Changes iTunes preferences so that it converts to mp3 instead of m4a, not at my mac now so cant remember if its in itunes prefs menu or if its in a more advanced menu option but it is in there somewhere

That did the trick. Thanks Del!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.