Fusion and Win98

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
four 20" aluminum 2.0 GB Imacs
I just installed VMWare Fusion so I can run some Windows based programs like Office 97 Access and 2004 Quickbooks. But the Windows 98 discs I have are a Win98 systems update from Dell (OEM factory installed) and a Win98SE update disc I bought used several years ago. I get a message in Fusion that "No bootable device was detected" and "Exiting PXE Rom - Operating System not found". I get the feeling from searching for answers that I need a full retail installation disc - that the update discs don't cut it. I want to get those programs and files out of that old PC and get rid of it! We love these Imacs - they're so cool! Any help? Thanks.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
You need a full installation disk.

You could take out the PCs hard drive, put it in an enclosure and pull off the data (or use the thing as an external drive).

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
four 20" aluminum 2.0 GB Imacs
I actually have the PC and the Imac linked through an ethernet hub so I can share files from one to the other. So I have been transfering email profiles, bookmarks (favorites), and some Word and Excel documents either into the dropbox or by going into the C drive from Finder. But I don't really want to install this 11 year old gunked up Windows 98se and all its contents into Fusion. I'd rather cherry pick what I'm really going to need. And I'm not adept enough to sort through all those files for a "clean" installation if it is even possible. So I'll see if I can bum a full installation disc from a friend or go to eBay and see if one is available. Now that would be throwing good money after bad, wouldn't it? Thanks for your input.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
aw shucks. I had a full version of 98 I was going to offer you, but I just looked for it and I must have thrown it out.

I just noticed you have FOUR aluminum iMacs! Why? Can you send me one for helping you out? Come on, be a pal. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.