which Mac for me?

Reaction score
I've a windows user now, but I'm tired of having to reinvent the wheel each time I attempt a new task.

I've never used a mac, but have read lots about them and and ready to test drive one. I've done a bit of reading online, and I'm leaning towards buying a decent used machine before dumping both my Dell pc's. When looking at specs like processor speed and RAM, what is the benchmark for windows? For example, I wouldn't own a pc that was less than 1.5ghz and 1gb of RAM- Would I need at least the same spec for a comparable mac? I've been surfing some resellers, and the G4 imacs look pretty good for the money (again, this would be a test drive machine) but I'm concerned it would be to slow.

I'm not a power user by any means, my typical use is:

Email
Firefox with 3-5 tabs open
Instant messenger
light photo editing (picasa or something else idiot-proof)
home video capture and editing (just home vids of my kids, I put a couple of scenes together and post it to you-tube for far away grandpa/grandma.

Any suggestions? My thought would be to find something that will perform my basic tasks, then buy something more powerful and modern if I decide to convert completely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
If you can find a cheap Mac to get you started then great. The G4s are good machines, but I'd recommend a gig of RAM.

They're not the fastest Macs, but perfectly fine for the kind of things you're looking at doing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.