Potential Switcher?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20 in; 15" MBP 2.4 Ghz
Hello folks!!

I'm debating whether to switch my son to a Mac or not and need advice. He'll be starting school for Media Arts and Animation in August. I've noticed that mostly everyone in those programs uses a mac of some sort. We already have a PC desktop at home that he uses for games, and he has an xbox already. If I switch him to a Mac, which one should I get, a Macbook or Macbook Pro? He also is using a Wacom Tablet (6x8 I think) quite extensively.

Thanks for your help

Reaction score
I think if you're buying the laptop for graphic and video applcations, he'd be no better off with a MacBook, since they used shared memory and a graphics chip. He'd benefit much more from a MacBook Pro, but in saying that, a PC is always going to be totally capable of image and video editing; Macs just happen to be more popular in the industry.

Reaction score
Considering he will be in the creative professional arena, a Mac will probably be useful, if not a must.

I recommend:

- Find out what computers the university requires, most schools publish a "minimum system requirement" for the students' computers.

- Make sure all apps he needs at this school are Mac-compatible. Even if one isn't, you can alway run Windows on your Mac, too.

---> Get him a Mac, it will work in any case.

Now to the model: Since he'll be doing animation, a powerful processor might be necessary for video editing and rendering if he's doing 3D. I definitely recommend a Macbook Pro, as large and powerful as possible.

OR you can get him a tower Mac Pro for home and a cheaper Macbook for on the go. It depends on his lifestyle and where he needs to be able to do what.

That said, I'd personally recommend you buy him a Macbook Pro, if affordable with a 17" monitor. These things last, and they'll do everything he needs.

Reaction score
But also don't forget that there's going to be a MacBook Pro upgrade in a few weeks, so hold out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
But also don't forget that there's going to be a MacBook Pro upgrade in a few weeks, so hold out!

although possible, we haven't heard anything from Apple about a potential update. If you need it now buy it now, if you're always waiting for the next system... you'll always be waiting.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20 in; 15" MBP 2.4 Ghz
UPDATE: PC BLEW UP!!! :) I'm guessing its the motherboard (does happy dance) looks like its gonna be Macbook for me and the Pro for him!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
UPDATE: PC BLEW UP!!! :) I'm guessing its the motherboard (does happy dance) looks like its gonna be Macbook for me and the Pro for him!!!

Bummer on the PC blowing up - but you'll get a great machine in exchange!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.