Deleting Partition (no installation cd)

P

pedrothekevin

Hello all.

I bought my B&W g3 rev2 off of eBay a few months ago. When it came, it included the default 9gig HD, but it was partitioned into two different drives.

I recently purchased an 80gig WD drive, and I was hoping to get rid of the 2nd partiton on the original drive. I've done a lot of searching, and everyone always says to put in the OS cd and do it that way, but my mac didn't come with an OSX installation cd (I recently purchased a Panther upgrade cd, but I don't think that will do me much good. It's set to arrive on Tuesday.)

Does anyone have any ideas? When I go into the Disk Utility, over on the Partition tab, both of them are locked, so I can't delete it that way. I am on as the single user with admin priviledges.

Thanks in advance.

-K

OP
M

m1k

Just click the lock on the Partition tab or wherever the lock graphic is. It'll ask for your username and password, and then it'll become unlocked. You can then fiddle around with the partitions.

Good luck, hope this helps!

OP
B

Badger

Removing the partition can wipe out the info on the disk. If you don't have an install CD you may find yourself with a blank hard disk.

OP
W

Wapa18

pedrothekevin said:
my mac didn't come with an OSX installation cd (I recently purchased a Panther upgrade cd, but I don't think that will do me much good. It's set to arrive on Tuesday.)

the panther cd you ordered is exactly what you need. apple doesn't sell "upgrade" discs for their OS; it is the full OS--so you'll be able to format the drive that way. just wait til tuesday when you get panther.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.