• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Career Options

Reaction score
Hello, I dont yet own a Mac, but really really want one< however im in school learning architecture and though my school uses bth platforms, i have been told that in the design profession its not all that wise to invest in a mac> Does anyone know anything about this?
Thank You

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
I do not know much about it, but it seems like you just have some mac haters on you hands... if you like mac than get one, and if you ever need to use windows you have multiple options (VMwarefusion, parallels, crossover, and of course boot camp) so if you like the Mac OS or just the way the cases look go ahead and buy one you will be fine =].

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Mac is certified UNIX. Most CAD/CAM/CAE systems run on one or another flavor of UNIX (AIX, IRIX, HP-UX, SUN/Solaris for example). I'm pretty sure there are ports for AutoCAD and CATIA v4 and v5. Not sure about others but thats a start for an afternoon of Googling. Parallels and Bootcamp can run anything else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I'm pretty sure there are ports for AutoCAD and CATIA v4 and v5. Not sure about others but thats a start for an afternoon of Googling. Parallels and Bootcamp can run anything else.

You're gonna need Windows for AutoCAD. It's Windows only.

Not 100% about CATIA, but I know AutoCAD for sure is only on Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
But with Apple hardware being able to run OS X and windows both natively I'd say that's the go. As you will have both the operating systems needed and can always choose the industry standard software no matter what system it needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
My bad Derek, I meant CADAM. Good catch!

It's cool.

I checked up on it, and AutoCAD is indeed Windows only, while CATIA is Windows and Unix only. There are no native ports to OS X yet, but a lot of people have been speculating about an eventual release of CATIA for OS X.

Which shouldn't be too difficult to do, considering that Mac OS X is certified Unix. We just have to be patient for some enterprising soul to do it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.