• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Imovie

Reaction score
Compressing video

Hi, I am very new to macs, just bought a G4 mirror drive from my friend. It has all the usual mac programs including final cut pro. I have a short 4minute video I shot with my digital camera and would like to email it but its a huge file (278mb) I noticed a program called compressor, followed the instructions and I would get a message "cannot submit" I soon noticed this is an annoying problem for most people using compressor and I am too new to macs to try the complicated solution to that problem. Is there a free easy to use decent compression program I can use so I can email my video? In the future I would like to purchase a quality compression program, which do you folks reccomend? Can I compress my video through Imovie? Does Imovie have its own compression feature or does it use that annoying mac compressor? Any help is appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
iMovie can not only compress, but upload it to your youtube account for you, too!

But I like ffmpegX for video conversion/compression.

OP
L
Reaction score
I imported a 15meg size video clip into imovie, and once loaded into imovie, I noticed the size isnow 276megs! Is this normal? why the increase in size. And how come I don't hear audio from the video clip? Is that normal? how can I play the clip and hear the sound as well? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I dont think so, just the size. But if you 'export' you get all the quicktime setting, so you can basically do anything you want from there.

OP
L
Reaction score
How come imovie does not work with mpeg video? I imported an mpeg clip into imovie, video plays fine but no audio. When I try to extract audio from the clip, imovie crashes. What format do I need to convert my mpeg video inorder to make it work properly with imovie? I don't understand why imovie doesn't show a warning message before importing an mpeg that that file type will not work with imovie.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.