• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

fce 3.5 vs fce 4.0

Reaction score
Soon to purchase a new editing program. I work with video and stills. Which is better old 3.5 or new 4.0? Just wanting to know what to invest in. I've grown out of imovie.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
It depends on your system that you are using. If your system is one of the newer ones, then Final Cut Express 4 would be best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13"MB intel
could you expand upon the last comment? I am on a 13"macbook w/ core2 processor and Leopord OS. I wanted FCE 3.5 because it still has live type and sound editor but will it work well with leopard?

thanks in advance.
Tdogg:)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't think that 3.5 will run on an Intel Apple system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4 GHz Intel core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 320Gb HD
Hello from mcnovice

In response to your conversation, re FCE 3.5 vs 4, does 4 run better on a newer system? I'm buying a new I-mac and want a good editing programme. Woud 3.5 be suitable for this? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
Does FCE 3.5 support AVCHD?

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a Cannon HG10. I currently have iMovie 6, but seems like FCE would be a better option than upgrading. In reading about 3.5 vs 4, it seems like 3.5 has more features. Seems it doesn't aupport AVCHD though...true?

-Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
Does FCE 3.5 support AVCHD?

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a Cannon HG10. I currently have iMovie 6, but seems like FCE would be a better option than upgrading. In reading about 3.5 vs 4, it seems like 3.5 has more features. Seems it doesn't aupport AVCHD though...true?

-Nick
You are correct i have 3.5HD because you have more control over what you are doing.

Reaction score
I recently (January) installed FCE HD 3.5 on both my intel iMac and my PPC iBook (g4) and it runs perfectly on both.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the info, do you know whether the programme is installable more than once if necessary (ie if the hard drive crashes)? I'm not out to pirate software, i just like to know the software would work again in case of a problem...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
Thank you for the info, do you know whether the programme is installable more than once if necessary (ie if the hard drive crashes)? I'm not out to pirate software, i just like to know the software would work again in case of a problem...

To be honest FCE 3.5 gives you more free reign over what you are doing than the newer version.As far as it being installed more than once.If you own it and your hdd crashes then you can re-install on that same machine without any problems as long as you are using the actual disk and sn.And FYI Final Cut Express 3.5 HD DOES run on Intel based macs.Just in case you wanted to know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, i did want to know that, thank you very much for the info. 3.5 it is, it just seems better. This is a great forum, i think i'll be here a fair bit while i'm getting used to the Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.