Classic Media Players

Reaction score
Hi. I was wondering if anybody knew any good media players for Mac OS 9. Preferably one with support for lots of codecs (avi, mpg, wmv...). thanks

Reaction score
Windows media player 7 for the mac has some problems but may work
for you.

OP
R
Reaction score
i tried windows media player 7, but it seems to only want to read ¨windows movie files¨. Im assuming this is .wmv or .wma. Is there any way that I could install more codecs, like you can with quicktime 7?

Reaction score
Idaho, USA, Out in the Country Northwest of Boise
Your Mac's Specs
Pismo 400MHz bought for $46
CoDecs for Quicktime

There are several plugins for Quicktime that work really well in OS 9 Mac OS X Hints has these links to the CoDecs on Apple's site, I think that is where I got mine (Indeo 3,4,5). I also found 3vix, ac3, wma, i263 and 3vix, but I don't remember where...:Oops: Several hours of searching should turn up something but it is getting increasing difficult to find stuff for OS 9. It seems the search engines don't know what OS 9 is!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I found this, MacVCD 3.2

But it relies on Quicktime 4 so I don't know how many modern codecs will work with it

OP
R
Reaction score
It looks interesting. I'm going to give the free trial a whirl. As far as realplayer goes: it crashes a lot and is a CPU hog, but its still useable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.