Privacy of External Backups

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
My wife and son are both occasional users of my iMac and both have their own accounts. Each of them can only see their own files. I'm about to purchase an External drive for backups and will eventually use Time Machine when I upgrade to Leopard. I'm concerned that all users will be able to see all of the backup files on the external drive, making the whole account structure/privacy a bit pointless. Is this correct and if so what can I do to ensure that each can only see their own backups - separate portable external drives is not an option!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16ghz White
perhaps a partition of the drive? though i do belive you can password protect shares of a drive though depending what age your kid is it mite be agood idea to be able to see what their up to!:Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
morty192 is right, use Disk Utility to partition your drive up.

I would recommend getting a large one if you want to use Time Machine to it's full capability. What size are you looking at?

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Fish - I was looking at a 500Gb. My iMac is 500 Gb but currently 420gb are empty. Just when i think I've chosen one to buy I read a poor review but presently I'm looking at a WD Studio, Lacie ( the Little black one or the porsche) or my latest front runner Freecom. I'd prefer Firewire but USB 2 will be fine for the size of files I have presently.

Morty - As administrator I see everything on the hard disk as it is so I'm not worried about my reading their stuff - just the other way around!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.