New to Photoshop

Reaction score
I got photoshop CS3 yesterday and I dont really know how to do anything yet.

I'd like to learn a few basic things. Not too basic but not too complex either.

Does anyone have like a basic starter package type thing, with just maybe just a few pdf's and some images to practise on?

Reaction score
I would say start getting used to working with layers, it's basically what photoshop is all about. Aside from letting you use layer blending modes and other fun toys, it's a good way to "save" as you go. I will usually make a duplicate of a layer before I make any modificatiosns, that way if I don't like the new changes I can just delete the whole layer instead of hitting Undo a bunch of times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
CS3 "help" should link you to an adobe website that has guides about the whole program. By help Iean the menus withtin the app, like File, Edit, etc. Also websites like pixel2life.com have good tutorials for all levels. I personally love bratz-designs.net, a great graphics forum.

What exactly are you using photoshop for? Contemporary photo editing or web design, or freelance graphics? If photo or web editing I would reccomend buying a book (B&N has a whole section) about photoshop for photographers or webdesign. If you're more freelance a great place to start (this actually applies to all applications of PS) is with forum signatures. They're incredibly popular and easy to make and they will get you acquainted with photoshop very quickly.

Just search the web in keep up the practice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2GHz Power PC G5
lynda.com has the most comprehensive and up to date tutorials online.. they do the video tuts for adobe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No Mac : (
doesnt cs3, legally, cost about £300? tbh if i was to pay money like that, id have to be a pro with a company or somemthing : /

Reaction score
Try Photoshop cafe it offers basic mostly useless tutorials but these will allow you to familiarize your self with the software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook running OSX Leopard.
Planet Photoshop has some pretty good video tutorials...dunno about how basic you're wanting them, but everything is pretty much explained...

Reaction score
CS3 is mega money for not knowing how it works lol, nice one tho!! I used photo mags to help me learn. Many have tutorials on photoshop! One i buy regularly has a DVD with step by step instructions! If u do the tutorials in the mag every week then you learn quite fast!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.