Horror Story

M

m1k

Gather 'round the campfire, kids! I have a PC horror story. This happened today at school, and it made me remember why I got a Mac :)

So I was sitting in Science class, grade 9. I was going to bring my PowerBook to class, but that would be show-offy and not cool. What the heck, I said, I'll just use the school laptops. Now our school has really nice brand shiny new 14" iBooks, but Noooo, not those, what does our teacher book? The old crap-o Toshibas that look like they were designed by a Borg with vision problems. Ah well, I thought, at least they have Windows XP. So I start writing our science assignment in the Toshiba. Ahh, we have to switch rooms. I close my Toshiba laptop and switch rooms. When I reopen it, instead of coming out of sleep mode, like my PowerBook would, the Toshiba keeps right on snoring. So I'm all like, what the heck, hitting all the keys, shaking the Toshibanator, hitting esc, and then I hit the power button. The Toshibanator starts making noises that sound like Bill Gates farting. About 2 minutes later the screen flickers and the Toshibanator comes back to life. I try to adjust the brightness. I hit F1, nothing happens. F2? Nothing. F3? Nothing! Frantically, I hit all the F_ keys. Nothing happens. Then I see two little brightness keys. Guess where they are? On the friggin' arrow keys! How retarded is that? And it turns out the Toshibanator has like 4 brightness settings, instead of the 10+ PowerBooks have. The Toshibanator is also creaky as ****, creakier than an old grandma. Ah well, I think, it should be able to handle FRIGGIN' BASIC WORD PROCESSING, RIGHT?! I'm typing away happily, and I decide I should probably save my document. So I try to save on the network drive. Well, no network, even though the APPLE base station is like 3 feet away. As I'm trying to figure out what the freck the Toshibanator has been smoking lately, I hear a beeping noise from the primitive speakers. Ahh, the battery is about to die. Luckily the IT department knew that and gave me a power adapter! Phewf! But wait, I've plugged in the cord to the wall and the adapter to the Toshibanator, and the battery life keeps going down faster than a bull's ass tightens in fly season. I jiggle the cord around, nothing happens, except the Toshibanator makes some odd creaking noises. So I've got a laptop that's almost dead and that won't save to the network drive. I borrow a friend's power adapter, and it doesn't work with the Toshibanator either. ***! Finally, I save to the laptop's measly 20gig hard drive, just as the Toshibanator's battery dies, and I recover my document after school.

Kinda reminded me why I switched to Mac, eh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
This post was almost as bad as your unjustified bashing of the new sony laptops.

OP
A

Arleban

Because after you remove the bright happy shiny goodness of the Macs and dark, scary, evil, baby-eating windows/toshiba bashing, you are left describing an old crappy laptop that was on its last legs. I'm sorry you didn't like the position of the brightness keys. So what if the battery is dieing and won't charge. Shall I link to the thread in the Mac section of another website where Mac users are complaining about a consistent issue of batteries in PowerBooks dieing after a year? Hardware dies, it's a fact. No company is immune.

I don't mean to be an @$$, but you got stuck with an old laptop. I'm sorry you didn't get to use the new laptops, but why act like no hardware issues ever happen with a Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Ive never experienced hardware issues wth my macs, and those hardware issues any clients ever have is usually caused by the user. Toshiba has never come out with a good computer, monitors, yes, but actual computers, no, another fact to face, toshiba makes motorcycles and jet skis and the like, and some electronics, not computers. and that is exactly where theyd put brightness keys on a wintel machine, on the arrows, so if you try navigating in an app with them, you can change the brightness at the same time.:mac:

Reaction score
m1k said:
Gather 'round the campfire, kids! I have a PC horror story. This happened today at school, and it made me remember why I got a Mac :)

So I was sitting in Science class, grade 9. I was going to bring my PowerBook to class, but that would be show-offy and not cool. What the heck, I said, I'll just use the school laptops. Now our school has really nice brand shiny new 14" iBooks, but Noooo, not those, what does our teacher book? The old crap-o Toshibas that look like they were designed by a Borg with vision problems. Ah well, I thought, at least they have Windows XP. So I start writing our science assignment in the Toshiba. Ahh, we have to switch rooms. I close my Toshiba laptop and switch rooms. When I reopen it, instead of coming out of sleep mode, like my PowerBook would, the Toshiba keeps right on snoring. So I'm all like, what the heck, hitting all the keys, shaking the Toshibanator, hitting esc, and then I hit the power button. The Toshibanator starts making noises that sound like Bill Gates farting. About 2 minutes later the screen flickers and the Toshibanator comes back to life. I try to adjust the brightness. I hit F1, nothing happens. F2? Nothing. F3? Nothing! Frantically, I hit all the F_ keys. Nothing happens. Then I see two little brightness keys. Guess where they are? On the friggin' arrow keys! How retarded is that? And it turns out the Toshibanator has like 4 brightness settings, instead of the 10+ PowerBooks have. The Toshibanator is also creaky as ****, creakier than an old grandma. Ah well, I think, it should be able to handle FRIGGIN' BASIC WORD PROCESSING, RIGHT?! I'm typing away happily, and I decide I should probably save my document. So I try to save on the network drive. Well, no network, even though the APPLE base station is like 3 feet away. As I'm trying to figure out what the freck the Toshibanator has been smoking lately, I hear a beeping noise from the primitive speakers. Ahh, the battery is about to die. Luckily the IT department knew that and gave me a power adapter! Phewf! But wait, I've plugged in the cord to the wall and the adapter to the Toshibanator, and the battery life keeps going down faster than a bull's *** tightens in fly season. I jiggle the cord around, nothing happens, except the Toshibanator makes some odd creaking noises. So I've got a laptop that's almost dead and that won't save to the network drive. I borrow a friend's power adapter, and it doesn't work with the Toshibanator either. ***! Finally, I save to the laptop's measly 20gig hard drive, just as the Toshibanator's battery dies, and I recover my document after school.

Kinda reminded me why I switched to Mac, eh?

sucks6.jpg

Why? Your post makes no sense and the context of your post really does show that you are in grade nine. Your story is probably bogus, overly exaggerated or your intelligence is just lacking.

Anyway, I've owned three toshiba laptops and they have all served me well. My current laptop is the Toshiba M200 Tablet PC and it is probably the most well thought out Tablet in the market today. Have an iBook too and I love it. Nothing beats the 5 hour battery life :)

OP
A

Arleban

arrow keys != brightness

Fn key + arrow keys = brightness :headphone

All I'm saying is that because the school has "brand shiny new macs" the toshibas are probably old beat to **** laptops. Especially beat to **** because they are school laptops, not the student's own laptops. He got an old laptop that started falling apart.

OP
L

Lasha

Well, that story is pretty horrific, but a little overexaggerated, yes. I mean, what can you expect from such an old Toshiba laptop that began falling apart a while ago? And technically, you wouldn't have these sorts of hardware problems with a Mac unless you cause them forcefully.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
If they are old community lap tops for the school, than you cant expect the kind of performance of your personal notebook, mac or not.

OP
?

)(*

Alright, alright people calm down. Lets cut the kid some slack.

I understand what he means. I repair windows machine every school day, and its just a terrible experience.
Its good that he posted this topic though, its a good way to get what you want to say out of your system.
Just remember, bring your powerbook to school.
My public high school doenst allow laptops, but i bring mine anyway. And if a principle (i have 4) tried to take it. They'll get whats coming to them.

I give you some props though (thread starter) for switching to the Mac world at such a young age.
Continue on your journey in the wonderful world, but remember,

everything, no matter how shighty it is, deserves respect.

cheers!

OP
B

bobx2001

the story is point less, this is a switcher hangout, not a pc bashing club, a old laptop is not going ot have amazing performance, but i do understnaf your point of your being reminded of why you have your mac, i my self seem to forget how get my mac is until i use a pc, and remind my self why i switched, but still, i am not going to psot a horro story each time.

please start useful thrads not this crap, if there is any moderators reading, please lock this thread

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.