Switching to Mac

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I'm currently using a 15.4"inch Vaio FE48G/H, 2.0GHz, 1GB Ram, 160GB Hard Drive laptop. I'm using Vista Home Premium. I've been using this since April last year.

It didn't take me too long before I realized that what I do, which is editing photos and videos, would be 100% better on a Mac. After a few minutes looking at the models in apple.com, I decided that the MacBook Pro is the best choice. There are three models: 2.2Ghz, 2GB Ram, 120GB Hard Drive or 2.4GHz, 2GB Ram, 160GB Hard DRive or 2.6Ghz, 2GB Ram, 160GB Hard Drive.

I don't have a budget as high as the Mac Pro, but which model is most worth getting? (2.2,2.4,2.6GHz)

I will mostly be using Photoshop, Final Cut Express, Lightroom and iLife.

I also have another question, (for MacBook Pro users) will the general colour (body) of the MacBook Pro turn brownish yellowish after a while? Because I've seen MacBook Pros mostly in videos, that their silver body have turned yellowy as if it have been dipped in mud.

Thanks
Jeremy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
For the best bang for your buck, you can stick to the 2.2 Ghz model but consider maxing out the RAM to 4 Gb. You can buy RAM from 3rd parties MUCH cheaper than from Apple, so buy it with the least amount of RAM possible, then get new, compatible sticks from another source.

As for color changing... not likely. I've had my PowerBook for 5 years now... still perfectly silver (albeit dinged up a bit)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AlumiMac24/MBP
I agree with lifeisabeach... and as it is way cheaper to buy new RAM outside of Apple, it is also very easy to install. About color, my MBP shows no signs of color changes... still silver as ever. You said you've seen them in videos looking like mud: could it be that the silver is just reflecting the lighting being used to make the video? I know in my office where the main color is green, the silver reflects a green tint of sorts.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies...

Lol Ron Jeremy? Anyways, can anyone explain what GHz actually does? Like I know that higher is better, but for higher GHzs, in what way will the speed increase in? I'm mostlikely getting the 2.4Ghz as it's a little cheaper.

Jeremy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.