• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Where to Live in Europe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Hey guys, I'm planning on moving to Europe in the near future (from america) and am trying to decide between France and the UK, I have been taking french since 6th grade so I am very fluent in it by now as you might have guessed, but the UK also seems like it might be a good place to live, which would you guys suggest?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, Ipod nano 1st&3rd gen
Well as a Englishmen Ide say england but on the other hand the south of france is really really nice :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 2GHz Intel 2GB RAM, iPod Classic 80Gb, iPhone
I'm an englishman & i'd still say the south of france

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, Ipod nano 1st&3rd gen
I'm an englishman & i'd still say the south of france

True ture england is too crowded so south of france is winning :D

Reaction score
England is over crowded, expensive and has little culture. I still love it though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
actually you have 3 choices, but it depends on what you want to do

UK - english speaking, large mix of cultures - FRee healthcare - French may come in handy for certain jobs

France - beautiful country, right in the centre of Europe

Belgium - international hub, French and Dutch speaking - English a big plus if you plan to get a job with the EU, or multinational company

All of the above: virtually no gun crime

what type of job would you be looking for

OP
The Vindicat3d
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
France too has free healthcare does it not? As thats one of the things I'm really fed up with in america (horrible horrible health care and it's expensive!). And I'd be looking for a web engineering/design or IT job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
France too has free healthcare does it not? As thats one of the things I'm really fed up with in america (horrible horrible health care and it's expensive!). And I'd be looking for a web engineering/design or IT job.

Wouldn't you have to have some type of citizenship to receive their benefits?

I would really like to move to Valencia, Spain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anybody working in the UK and paying tax will be paying national insurance and so get free heathcare

IT/ web will get you a job in all the countries, but the creative hub of Europe is definitely London, with thousands of design, media and web companies.

Yes - France does have state healcare

OP
The Vindicat3d
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright thanks for all the help guys, I'll probably be moving to france, at least temporarily as I'm going to be going to a college their maybe I'll check out moving to england after that cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good luck - France is lovely - but expect Parisians to be a bit rude (they even have a reputation within France for being like that)

That said, if you are in France it is easy to visit Germany, Spain, Belgium, Switzerland, Italy, Britain - in fact Europe by just hoping on a high speed train

The rail network in France is quite frankly brilliant

OP
The Vindicat3d
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I'm planning on touring all the european 3rd world countries first just to get a better appreciation for things... 1 country a week!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, High Res, 2GB Ram, 2.4Ghz processor Core 2 Duo
non europe sucks i'll swap homes with you though.

OP
The Vindicat3d
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
non europe sucks i'll swap homes with you though.

non europe? haha if i'm taking that the right way than yes, I completely agree and no once i get to europe I'm not leaving! Definitely not going back to america!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2.5 gb ram, 80 gb hd, 120 gb external drive,10.5...8 gb iPod Touch
Vindicate3d...I am in the same boat as you. Although I'm most likely going to the UK. It would make sense for you to go to france since you speak french. If you have an MSN or AIM screen name we could talk about it more, since this is an interesting topic for me.

OP
The Vindicat3d
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah sure what's yours?

k3s

Reaction score
I was thinking of doing the same when i go into college. I was debating France or England. It just seems a better alternative to then living in the United states.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, 2GB RAM, 2.2Ghz, 160GB HD. 160GB Ipod Classic. 16GB iphone 3GS. Red 2G Shuffle.
Is there not anywhere else in the UK besides England? I thought there was... :(

S/France wins out for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I would have chosen England and might move there for year or two in the future, I would love to shoot an independent film in a small english town.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.