Photo-Image Database?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
I'm going to make the switch to an iMac very soon (it's just around the corner), and I'd also like to begin a project to catalog all my digital images into some sort of database. I think what I need is something that is consistent with both macs and pcs, but ultimately these files will probably reside on an external drive.

Is there anything in the mac side I should be looking at? I had looked at something called Kalimages which is a nice system which I think only runs on PCs, but I have to go back and check for sure. Shoebox looks interesting as well, but I wondered if Aperture has a database capacity?

Any help is appreciated :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
iPhoto comes with all new Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Are you going to be just using meta data to categorise your files and aid in searches?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
I've been using Iview Media Pro for a while now to catalog my digital image collection. It has recently changed to Expression Media it is a great program that is both PC and Mac compatible. You can save a set of images as a catalog and send to a client who can then open the catalog on either a PC or Mac without needing to have the main program installed, however they do have to install a "Catalog Reader" which enables them to view the catalog in various ways and also read information about the catalog and its contents. You can catalog many kinds of media with the program, PDF's, Images, Documents, Movies, Music and more. Check it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.