New to Mac what tune up programs do i need?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17'' Imac 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 1 GB DDR SDRAM
i am new to mac i was wondering what programs i need to keep it up and running at tip top speed. i know on windows you need anitvirus, u need to defrag every month and a whole bunch of other stuff but what do i need one here. I am running mac os x version 10.5.1 if that helps at all thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
To be honest, you don't really need anything. You don't need antivirus since there are no Mac viruses. You don't need a defrag program since OS X does it automatically. And you don't need spyware/adware scanning apps because again, you don't get those on the Mac. And OS X doesn't suffer the same performance decrease over time that Windows does.

There are programs out there that do cleaning of temporary files and caches, but you don't need to do this regularly to keep the system running at full speed. If you leave your Mac on 24/7, it'll do this automatically.

But if you really need these apps, check out MainMenu and Onyx.

Oh, and welcome to Mac-Forums. You'll find yourself with a lot more time on your hands now that you don't have to do regular maintenance. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
If you communicate with PCs or download to your mac side to run on your PC side (this is advisable because surfing and downloading is much safer on the mac side) then the free clamx antivirus is sufficient. (I'm not sure if you need a better one on the PC side). I've only heard that virii don't 'run' on mac, but I haven't heard much about it NOT being able to be passed. http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6126_102-0.html?forumID=10&threadID=253387&messageID=2520777 If you know that you and none of your friends/work whatever will ever communicate with a PC or you don't run PC on Parallels or Bootcamp then you will not need a virus scanner otherwise you do...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Per Kash, you need one of OnyX or MainMenu. Both of these enable you to do regular OS X routine maintenance, which keeps your Mac in tip top shape. Either of these two fine programs will do just what you need. Get one of them and run the routine maintenance scripts once a week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Agree with mac57 and if you wish to purchase a maintenance program, suggest you make it DiskWarriior 4. Best HDD diagnostic and repair tool around.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the help it will give me way more time on my hands running some virus scanner that does not even delete the virus it just tells me there is one. :Oops: Oh and one more thing does anyone know how to restore or what the point of the photo vault i made it while still using Tiger then upgraded, made it for a backup what do i do with it now? how do i get the photos back? it is 4kb on the drive did i loose the photos if so any way to recover them?:'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 24 Inch
Man is that true. I find myself with all kinds of time ;)

To be honest, you don't really need anything. You don't need antivirus since there are no Mac viruses. You don't need a defrag program since OS X does it automatically. And you don't need spyware/adware scanning apps because again, you don't get those on the Mac. And OS X doesn't suffer the same performance decrease over time that Windows does.

There are programs out there that do cleaning of temporary files and caches, but you don't need to do this regularly to keep the system running at full speed. If you leave your Mac on 24/7, it'll do this automatically.

But if you really need these apps, check out MainMenu and Onyx.

Oh, and welcome to Mac-Forums. You'll find yourself with a lot more time on your hands now that you don't have to do regular maintenance. ;P

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
help!

so can anyone help me with the photo vault problem i want those photos back if possible plz help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
You might find better results posting this as a new post either here or one of the other forum headings (maybe here, software or digital lifestyle?)
so can anyone help me with the photo vault problem i want those photos back if possible plz help

M

MacHeadCase

Agree with mac57 and if you wish to purchase a maintenance program, suggest you make it DiskWarriior 4. Best HDD diagnostic and repair tool around.

I agree with harry: DiskWarrior. And of course, MainMenu. That's what I use anyhow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Does Main Menu or other programs muck up the registery etc? I know some of the windows maintaince programs did muck things up and delete files which should not be removed, even if the user knows about these files or not.

I too keep thinking I need to clean my mac of dropped uninstalled files and cache pics etc but don't want to remove files etc that may cause problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
Im going to say that you dont need any tune up programs, one thing that helps is to stay organized with you files.
Welcome to the mac-world.

M

MacHeadCase

Does Main Menu or other programs muck up the registery etc? I know some of the windows maintaince programs did muck things up and delete files which should not be removed, even if the user knows about these files or not.

I too keep thinking I need to clean my mac of dropped uninstalled files and cache pics etc but don't want to remove files etc that may cause problems.

MainMenu does almost all what OnyX does but is more convenient and, OnyX can be dangerous to use if you don't know what you are doing: MainMenu is less confusing, IMO.

DiskWarrior repairs damaged directories and saved my hide on a few occasions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
++24" imac 3ghz / may-08+ ibook G3-500mhz-10g-384m-12", nov-07 +G4 quicksilver 867 mhz/512MB july/08
trying onyx now...hope it works

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Let us know how it went:)

I download Onyx not so long ago and still haven't used it. I might get MainMenu if it's less complicated lol

trying onyx now...hope it works

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo

Only windows uses a registry file/s.
No registry files in OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.