Audio problem, MacBook to Philips LCD-TV, all help appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2 GHz MacBook, Mac OS X v10.5.6 | 8 GB iPhone 3G, v2.2
Hi guys and girls, (I'm not sure I am posting this in the right place, but nevermind...)

I've got the latest MacBook (as of February 1st). Not the MacBook Air; the regular version (black model). I've been trying to connect the computer to my Philips LCD-HDTV to watch movies and stuff directly on the big screen, and it's wired with HDMI via Apple's "Mini-DVI to DVI adapter". The video is working fine, but I can't connect the audio :Grimmace:

The Audio Out port on the MacBook is called something with "Combined 3.5 mm stereo/Optical digital audio cable" (and I'm not entirely certain of what that means, more than that it's no problem plugging my headphones in it ;D ).

The Audio In port on the TV on the other hand is a "Coaxial digital audio in", and by now I am totally lost... The only thing I am wondering is what kind of cable I should use to connect these two ports, optimally with digital sound but analogue should be fine too.

The guys I've spoken to at various electronics stores refuse to believe that my laptop haven't got a "Coaxial digital audio out" connection (probably because they don't know what a Mac is), so I figured I should post my question at this site.

I live in Sweden but that shouldn't matter I think, and I am very grateful for any help!

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So a Coaxial Digital cable is in fact the same thing as an RCA cable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
From what I know, coaxial can carry DTS and other audio signals where the standard RCA can not. It's not necessarily the RCA ends, but the cable itself.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Allright, but since the cable in your link had one 3.5 mm-end and one RCA-end I figured you were implying an RCA contact would do the trick with the TV's coaxial audio in (?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I figured you were implying an RCA contact would do the trick with the TV's coaxial audio in (?)
Correct. If you have any RCA cables lying around, try plugging it in the TV's coaxial audio in. It should fit just fine.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well then, that's great! Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're Welcome!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.