How do they do the Sprint light commercials?

Reaction score
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lW_9SYaWAQg

Anyone know how they do the above commericals? I would really like to play around with it but have no idea how it's done. On the YouTube video is one artists website.

sprint commercial - june 27, 2007
It's finally ready! A friend of mine who works for Sprint got ahold of the commercial early and decided to put it up on YouTube. This is one of the coolest projects I have ever been a part of. Myself and Nine other amazing and diverse artists shot the commercial in L.A.'s MacArthur Park for four nights. All the animation was done with flashlights....there's about 100 frames for every two seconds of footage!
The commercial will start to air this Sunday, July 1st. The quality will be more crisp and colorful on T.V....YouTube quality is generally not that great..... Enjoy!

I know how to take long exposure shots with my camera, but have no clue how to animate them. Taking 100 frames manually and putting them together would be really hard. They have to be doing it an easier way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
"Taking 100 frames manually and putting them together would be really hard."
I'm afraid that is exactly what they do. Stop motion takes a lot of work.
Nice commercial btw.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Ever watch any of the old clay movies, like the frog and the toad? Celebrity deathmatch is even done the same way. One frame at a time.

The commercials are what, 30 seconds long? That's like 6000 photos for one commercial.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
"Taking 100 frames manually and putting them together would be really hard."
I'm afraid that is exactly what they do. Stop motion takes a lot of work.
Nice commercial btw.

exactly. I remember seeing an interview with Aardman staff (Wallace and Gromit creators) who were saying that a whole day of shooting would only create around 3 seconds of footage.

I did a little stop-motion animation back at uni. The app we used was Boinx iStopmotion. There's a demo available for download. You can hook up most digital camcorders to it, or even use your iSight camera or other webcams for it. Great piece of software and really gives you an insight into how much time and attention to detail you need.

k3s

Reaction score
If you have enough time and money anything can be done. But yea great commercial concept.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.