what format should the hd be..?

Reaction score
I am going to plug my new Lacie 500GB in to my AEBS
before I do that, what should the format be with my hd? FAT, FAT32, NTFS
because I wanna share this hd through the AEBS with my mac and PC
so, should it be FAT/ FAT32?

and as found that a new Lacie always have three patition in it, do you guys clear them all and make it back into one?as the software by Lacie has no use to me...how about you guys?

thanks

Reaction score
Fat32 or NTFS should be good. I would personally go with NTFS so you can set permissions to the drive.

OP
C
Reaction score
Fat32 or NTFS should be good. I would personally go with NTFS so you can set permissions to the drive.
but if I use NTFS...can mac os use it?
what is the difference between them...?
becaus eboth I need to use, and I would like to play mp3 or musics through this hd connecting to my AEBS

Reaction score
Mac can mount to an NTFS file system. I'm doing it now... Really it's Samba that allows this connection to occur. The difference between FAT32 and NTFS are a lot. The major difference is with NTFS you're able to set permissions to the filesystem, whereas FAT won't - more secure. It's ideal if you "don't" want to share the entire drive. Maybe you want to share a folder instead or the entire drive, NTFS will allow you to do this. The beauty of Samba is will couples Linux based systems and Windows (NTFS, FAT) to read, write, and execute across a network. This is what I think you want to do - right?

OP
C
Reaction score
like...i want to store the data, mp3, movies on the external harddisk that connects to the AEBS....and both mac and pc can read and store files on it.

but does AEBS allows NTFS format hd...?or need FAT32?

Reaction score
but does AEBS allows NTFS format hd...?or need FAT32?

I should backup here, I don't have any experience with a AEBS HD. However I would think it's just a HD like any other. Really the choice is up to you since both will work. I'm simply stating that if you want added security, and the AEBS is being shared off a WinTel machine then NTFS would be the way to go. Otherwise if it's hanging off a network, then FAT32 would be the way. Really depends where your placing this disk, and how machines will mount to it.

-Jay

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.