To Switch or Not to Switch...

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forums, but I've been reading for quite a while now. Right now I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop with Vista, which fits my needs as a student just fine, but I really want to get a Mac. I love the community you guys have going on, and the OS is great. I planned to sell my current laptop and buy a MacBook, until I started doing some research and found that the MacBook has been having some trouble, like with the wi-fi disconnecting, flickering screen, overheating, and general strangeness. I've had my laptop for almost 10 months and haven't had a problem yet, and it would be a bummer to pay $1000+ on something that's going to be a hassle. Also, the nearest Apple store is over 3 hours away, and the nearest service provider is 1 1/2 hours away. Any advice is appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
Well, of course we are going to tell you buy a Mac. It is rare, whether it is PC or a Mac to experience major problems. Most people are pleased with their MacBook and don't experience any trouble.
The Mac community has also been great, even back in the early days when the Macintosh was a new concept.
If you want a Mac, go for it, don't let a few bad reviews ruin your opinion. Check out the switchers comments, most switchers wished they did it long before. As far as a student, OSX has several options for Word processing, including Office to NeoOffice for free.

Reaction score
There has been people who have had problems with Macbooks as with all laptop regardless of manufacturer. However the percentage of duff Macbooks would be extremely small. Admittedly I had problems with my first Macbook but got a replacement and this one has been fine. It gets alot of usage and gets carried to college every week day and it has been a God send.
Then again if you already have a laptop that suits your needs then I wouldn't spend $1000 on another laptop.

OP
Howell-Jenkins
Reaction score
Thanks a lot! I think I probably will end up getting the MacBook. I guess I should be more optimistic about things. And in actuality, I've got someone who is willing to buy my Toshiba for $600, so I'm only paying $400 for the Mac. Plus the Toshiba was a grad gift. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro 2.66 quad, Ati x1900, 2 500GB drives, 6 mb ram, dual 24"dell monitors
Well, I can understand your hesitation. I had the same.

I have been a happy mac pro user for about 2 months and I love it. At home I do a lot of photographic work and recently started video, so I need the big beast. I like the mac osx experience overall. Some windows programs you will have to find mac equivalents for, but it isn't a problem. And, since macs can run windows, you are getting 2 computers in one.

I shock my friends when they see mine. I have dual monitors, and I have the mac osx on one, and sometimes windows running in a full screen window on fusion. That blows their minds!

I still have my hp laptop and I am going to continue with that because a mac laptop is still very expensive for what I use it for, which is only to keep in touch while traveling.

You will like the mac osx for sure. Take it from a long time windows user who built all of her own machines.
I am converting the rest of my family now.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks a lot! I think I probably will end up getting the MacBook. I guess I should be more optimistic about things. And in actuality, I've got someone who is willing to buy my Toshiba for $600, so I'm only paying $400 for the Mac. Plus the Toshiba was a grad gift. :D

Keep in mind that the majority of people you see represented in online forums like this are those that are having a problem. People aren't apt to seek help or complain about a computer that is not having problems.

All complex machines have problems - it doesn't matter who makes them. As far as overall reliability goes, Apple has some of the highest ratings in the industry.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.