• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Rudy drops out

OP
Kash
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Edwards dropping out was a bit sad, but Rudy dropping out is a joyous occasion :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Now it's Huckabee's turn.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook
This is indeed a joyous day. Too bad McCain, Huckabee, and Romney are still there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
Now it's Huckabee's turn.

Huckabee is in it until after Super Tuesday. He's syphoning votes from Willard Mitt Romney and helping out John McCain. Mike Huckabee is basically running to be McCain's VP at this point.

As for Rudy, I'm glad he went down in flames. That was one of the worst thought out strategies I've ever heard of. Rudy Giuliani is a dangerous man.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I'm not surprised in either case. I haven't the republican side of the race but from the sound of it, Rudy dug that grave quite early, didn't he?

Obama has been my homeboy since day one! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
I'm pulling for a McCain vs. Obama election. Much better choice than the last couple of elections.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
I'm pulling for a McCain vs. Obama election. Much better choice than the last couple of elections.

Same.

I am happy Edwards dropped. He is very regressive, IMO.

I am hoping for a McCain/Obama election as well. They are both fairly moderate. I dropped my support for Clinton. Her and her husband are just becoming embarrassing. Bill should've quite while he was ahead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Did anybody like the "Clinton Era"...? (Economic, anyways)
Funny how everyone thought, back in the day, "Billary" was running the show. Now that she's running, they don't want her/them back...
Another shot for Bill in the oral office? ;}
No slams please.....I haven't decided who to vote for.

OP
Kash
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Funny thing is that's the last thing McCain wants. He really wants to run against Hillary. If we want another Republican in office, all we gotta do is hand Hillary the nomination. :Angry:

Rudy's plan wasn't exactly a bad one, it's just that he was a bad candidate. I remember reading a quote, "You like Giuliani from a distance, but once you get to know him, you hate him." Sounds pretty accurate to me ;P

Reaction score
I dropped my support for Clinton. Her and her husband are just becoming embarrassing. Bill should've quite while he was ahead.

No kidding. Bill's recent activities are an embarrassment to the office he once held. He needs to sit down and be quiet because he's not doing his wife any favors.

Reaction score
For the republicans I don't think there is anyway that Romney will be able to pull it out over mccain. Huckabee, like said by a previous poster, will stay in the race until super tuesday. As for Ron Paul, I think he will stay in till the very end. I think at this point McCain is going to win the nomination.

Now it's just Obama and Hillary for the democrats, and like Kash said, if Hillary wins McCain will win in the overall election.

So like others, I'm hoping for a Barack and McCain election, which is the most likely scenario now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
Of course Ron Paul is going to stay until the end.

If the MSM would stop censoring Paul we would see him with even higher numbers than what he has now.

The revolution has begun...

OP
Kash
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you guys watch the Republican debate in California? It's was ridiculous how the moderators just focused on McCain and Romney while marginalizing Paul and Huckabee (well, to be honest, I didn't mind them ignoring Huckabee ;P). I figured Anderson Cooper would be a bit more fair, but he fell in line with the other moderators and just kissed up to McCain and Romney.

It was also disconcerting that McCain and Romney were grinning like idiots when Paul spoke.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Did you guys watch the Republican debate in California? It's was ridiculous how the moderators just focused on McCain and Romney while marginalizing Paul and Huckabee (well, to be honest, I didn't mind them ignoring Huckabee ;P). I figured Anderson Cooper would be a bit more fair, but he fell in line with the other moderators and just kissed up to McCain and Romney.

It was also disconcerting that McCain and Romney were grinning like idiots when Paul spoke.

Honestly, I don't blame them. Why should the media focus on two candidates that are clearly not going to win? Their job is to inform the public, not prop up improbable candidates.

OP
Kash
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And by ignoring the other candidates and focusing on only two of them, they ARE propping up candidates and not informing the public. You think people wouldn't empathize more with what Ron Paul has to say if the media gave him the same amount of attention that they give to McCain and Romney? If people don't know what a man stands for, obviously they aren't going to back him.

If the media's job is to inform the public, then they shouldn't be playing favorites. Give equal time to every candidate and then let the voters decide with their votes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
And by ignoring the other candidates and focusing on only two of them, they ARE propping up candidates and not informing the public. You think people wouldn't empathize more with what Ron Paul has to say if the media gave him the same amount of attention that they give to McCain and Romney? If people don't know what a man stands for, obviously they aren't going to back him.

If the media's job is to inform the public, then they shouldn't be playing favorites. Give equal time to every candidate and then let the voters decide with their votes.

So the media should have given equal time to Tancredo? He should've received as much attention as Obama?

The media can not, and will not, cover every candidate equally. This is because people (including voters) just DON'T CARE. Ron Paul's message is not very popular, nor pragmatic. Why should he been given equal time in debates if he is only pulling ~5% nationally.

Frankly, if his ideas were as widely popular and as celebrated as Paul fans make it seem, he would be winning elections across the nation. But he's not. And it is not from lack of attention. The internet has changed the way this nation works. No longer does the media have a stranglehold on information.

OP
Kash
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's wrong with the media covering every candidate? Who are the media to decide which candidates the people care about? By marginalizing even a single person, you're effectively instituting censorship. Sure, Tancredo wasn't a big name player, but then again, he was never given the chance because of media darlings like Edwards, Obama, and Clinton.

The media is currently force feeding the big four, Obama, Clinton, McCain, and Romney. The vast majority of people didn't have the inclination to go and find out what the other candidates stood for back when they were still in the race, and the media didn't exactly help when it marginalized them as fringe candidates. How do you know that people wouldn't be more receptive if they had the opportunity to hear from those other candidates?

And you're wrong about the media no longer having a stranglehold on information. A good portion of Americans are still glued to their televisions and newspapers for political news, and unfortunately, will gladly accept whatever drivel is presented to them. Political apathy is rampant in this country, and the fact that the media treats every American like an eight year isn't helping much.

Reaction score
I found a neat quiz from USA today on which canidate is for you. I took it and Ron Paul was my number one.

Check it out

BTW it worked in firefox for me, but not safari.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.