• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I have never had a problem with eBay...until now..is it me?

Reaction score
I have over 300 feedback score, all positive. Recently I sold something where in the auction it said "I will accept PayPal only. I will ship to PayPal confirmed addresses in the US only." The winning bidder sent payment with an unconfirmed address, so I denied the payment and explained to them that they needed a confirmed address. I keep getting e-mails from them trying to convince me to ship it to their unconfirmed address. They are unwilling to re-send payment with confirmed address or go through eBay to mutually agree to not complete the transaction so I can get my eBay fees back and re-list. Am I being unreasonable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
No, you're not. They failed to follow the instructions set in the auction. Report them to eBay for neglecting to adhere to the contract they agreed to by bidding on your auction.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No, you did right. I see auctions like that all the time that clearly state Pay Pal Only and Verified Address only. You are totally in the right!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
While you're technically correct in what you're doing, I can somewhat sympathize with the buyer. When I was living on campus, I couldn't verify my campus address for obvious reasons. I bought some stuff on eBay and clearly didn't have a verified address, even though I had an account in good standing with plenty of positive feedback. So I emailed the seller informing him of my situation, and he went ahead with the sale.

Now I'm not sure what the circumstances are in your case, but if it is in any way similar to the situation I laid out on top, then I'm thinking you'll want to send the guy what he won. But if he's just insisting without giving any reason, then clearly you're in the right and I would suggest following DB's advice.

OP
M
Reaction score
When I was living on campus, I couldn't verify my campus address for obvious reasons.

Why can't you?

I agree with what you are saying because in some circumstances I will ship to unconfirmed even though the auction said I wouldn't. The one thing about this specific auction that made me very much opposed was that the name on the account didn't match the name on the address, so the situation is a little different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I forget the reasons why, but I know that I tried and couldn't do it (this was about three years ago, so I'm not sure if things have changed since then)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
While you're technically correct in what you're doing, I can somewhat sympathize with the buyer. When I was living on campus, I couldn't verify my campus address for obvious reasons. I bought some stuff on eBay and clearly didn't have a verified address, even though I had an account in good standing with plenty of positive feedback. So I emailed the seller informing him of my situation, and he went ahead with the sale.

Now I'm not sure what the circumstances are in your case, but if it is in any way similar to the situation I laid out on top, then I'm thinking you'll want to send the guy what he won. But if he's just insisting without giving any reason, then clearly you're in the right and I would suggest following DB's advice.
And that would be fine, so long as he asked those questions BEFORE bidding or entering the auction. In this case, they buyer did not. A buyer's situation is irrelevant here. The auction stated the terms clearly and directly. If the buyer would like to see if a condition or exception can be made, then it is the buyer's responsibility to ask those things before he enters the contract.
If a seller wanted to make a judgment call like that, then fine so long as it is agreed upon BEFORE a bid is place. Waiting until the auction is over is not the proper course of action to take. It is irresponsible of a buyer to act in that manner.
There are plenty of sellers who don't require a confirmed address, so if one seller refuses there are other auctions a buyer can bid on.

eBay auctions are legal contracts, believe it or not. Getting wrapped up in a contract where you obviously and knowingly cannot fulfill your required role is a ridiculous thing for any person to do.

Also, an alternate address (e.g. a dorm address) can be confirmed. There is a procedure in place for such an issue, so there is really no excuse for a person to not have a confirmed address on PayPal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
In order to verify your address you have to have a credit card with that address on it, right? At least that's how I think I had to confirm mine. Some people link their paypal accounts with their checking account and dont use credit cards and I dont think you could use your checking account to verify address, or at least you used to not be able to. Plus, if someone is away at school, staying at a temporary working location, etc then it might be too much trouble to confirm that address since you really wouldnt want your bills and/or credit cards coming there, but might want to get your merchandise there. I'm not totally convinced about the confirmed address part being of use. Once I get my money in a confirmed funds, where they want it shipped to is really not my concern as long as I keep the buyers instructions and get a delivery receipt which is what I always do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
PayPal said:
Alternate Address Confirmation (AAC) is a way for PayPal members to confirm their non-credit card billing addresses. To qualify for AAC, you must:

* Be a PayPal member for longer than 90 days
* Have a Buyer Reputation Number of at least 10
* Be a Verified member of PayPal (add and confirm a bank account)
* Be a domestic user in good standing
* Provide an address that is NOT a P.O. Box

If you qualify for AAC, we will mail a secret code to the address you are trying to confirm. After you enter the secret code correctly into the PayPal website, you will need to fax several documents to PayPal. Once we confirm these faxed documents, your address will become Confirmed.
You don't need to have a credit card tied to the account to confirm it. Granted, it takes longer than simply adding a credit card, but it can be done.

OP
M
Reaction score
When I verified my PayPal address, I requested something from PayPal, they sent me a letter with a code on it to the address that I wanted to verify, then put that code in on their website... That might have changed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Yeah see all that red tape junk. I still say send me confirmed funds via paypal and I'll ship it to Timbuktu with a delivery receipt as long as you tell me to and I have that on the shipping instructions on the payment received form from Ebay. Who really cares about a confirmed address.

Also, my partner and I both use our same ebay account and obviously our names are different and its a pain to have to go into the user profile thing and constantly change our names back and forth depending on who is bidding on what, so often our names do not match the source of funds or the ship to person. Even trickier to have to explain if the seller asks about it that we are gay and thats why its two different male names with different last names - depending on whose credit card we used or who got the money order at the time. We do have a confirmed address, but thats simply because we are credit card users. Had I had to go through all that red tape I'm not sure I would have bothered. I'm just saying its sometimes tricky.

But yes you are technically correct about your listing being specific and him not following it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2gb Memory, 80gb HDD, Leopard / Pink iPod Nano
I forget the reasons why, but I know that I tried and couldn't do it (this was about three years ago, so I'm not sure if things have changed since then)

i couldnt verify my school address because it was a PO box so i always had it shipped to my mom's house

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.