Help! 3D DVD Cover image simulator & Photoshop CS3.

Es.

Reaction score
Does anybody know a software program for mac that is like IMANDIX. It is a 3D image simulator for DVD covers.?

I make DVD covers in Photoshop CS3. I am using a Apple computer (Imac.) I am looking for a program that can take a flat DVD cover image and transform it to a 3D display of it. Kinda like the program IMANDIX. http://www.imandix.net/

Is there a way I can do it in CS3 also?

Help! please :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
although I haven't used this feature yet, photoshop CS3 does have some 3D mapping capabilities. You can't create an object from scratch though - you import your 3D object, and apply your photoshop work live onto the object to see how it will look. I remember seeing demo movies of this on the adobe site before CS3 was launched.

Although I don't have any links, you may be able to find some free stock objects online to download and use with photoshop.

Another alternative, would be to try Blender. It's a free open-source 3D model and render app available for all systems. It would mean learning the basics of the app, but at least then you'd have your own setup. There may even be a chance that there are some free blender stock objects floating around somewhere - could be worth searching for that too.

I don't know of anything specific, like the app you linked to, but these could give you a few leads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2GHz Power PC G5
The 3 D capabilities are in CS3 extended. They extend on the 3D vector capabilities of CS3 Illustrator. This maybe the video you are talking about ... ts been floating around for a while: http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/video_workshop/?id=vid0020. If you open the .obj files in Photoshop can scale these vector 3D files because they come as smart objects a bit like if you place a normal 2D vector artwork. You can rotate these in 3D axis, change skins etc... BUT 3D files are originally vectors - not what Photoshop is designed to do so Illustrator is the one that constructs the original 3D object.

OP
E

Es.

Reaction score
The 3 D capabilities are in CS3 extended. They extend on the 3D vector capabilities of CS3 Illustrator. This maybe the video you are talking about ... ts been floating around for a while: http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/video_workshop/?id=vid0020. If you open the .obj files in Photoshop can scale these vector 3D files because they come as smart objects a bit like if you place a normal 2D vector artwork. You can rotate these in 3D axis, change skins etc... BUT 3D files are originally vectors - not what Photoshop is designed to do so Illustrator is the one that constructs the original 3D object.

Thanks for the support! :D

I think I understand what you are saying. If I get a 3D template I will be able to place a DVD cover image over it and it will render it. Is that correct? Now, where can I find a 3D obj template? :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Thanks for the support! :D

I think I understand what you are saying. If I get a 3D template I will be able to place a DVD cover image over it and it will render it. Is that correct? Now, where can I find a 3D obj template? :|

actually, I have a feeling that photoshop won't be able to render the image. I could be wrong here - but it just seems like too large a feature to add to photoshop - an industry standard image editor AND a 3D render engine.

Even if it can do basic renders (and again, I can't say for sure since I haven't used the feature), I doubt it could do high quality renders with proper lighting setup with radiosity and all that.

I don't think that using JUST photoshop with a 3D object will be the solution you need.

Through google, it's possible to find free objects online. A couple of years back when I was studying Lightwave, I came across a fully detailed Subaru WRX model, complete with full texture setup. It was so detailed that my computer at the time couldn't even finish displaying a low detailed preview in the modeler.

Anyway, here's some links you might find useful.

3D DVD case here

There are some very detailed ones out there, but at a price
Link

Link to some free Blender objects here
May not have a DVD case, but you might be able to request one. Having a Blender objects means you can have the app and render engine for free.

If you want to do it cheap, I'd personally go with Blender, and try to find or request a DVD case from a Blender site. If you're confident, you could model your own one. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an equivalent of the app you listed originally, so one of these might be your best bet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.